- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Onion Lover's Pizza
WARNING: this pizza is for onion lovers only. If you aren't fully in love with onions you will surely regret biting into this gooey, sweet, caramelized bit of onion heaven.
- 1 packet active dried yeast
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cup hand-hot water
- 3-4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
- 1 lb onions, half sweet half white, 4-6 onions
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1-2 tbsp cornmeal
- In a cup or bowl combine the yeast, sugar and hand-hot water. Let sit for 15 minutes. For hand-hot water run your tap letting the water hit your palm. As soon as its too hot to keep your hand under the water it's in the right temperature range.
- While waiting for the yeast combine half of the flour, 2 tsp salt and rosemary in a large bowl.
- Prep your onions by cutting in half then thinly slicing. Also make sure your garlic is chopped or minced.
- When the 15 minutes are up add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture. Stir until thoroughly combined. Add more flour until a smooth dough forms. You shouldn't use all the flour called for in the recipe.
- Lightly flour a hard surface and knead dough for about 4-5 minutes. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes. Preheat your oven to 400'F
- While waiting for the dough heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic and 1 tsp of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until lightly caramelized, as shown in the pictures --->
- Cover a cookie sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray or lightly grease with olive oil. Sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Once 30 minutes are up knead the dough again for 1-2 minutes. Roll into a rectangle that just fits on the cookie sheet.
- Spread the caramelized onions over the dough. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in a 400'F oven for 25 minutes or until the crust just starts to brown.