Onion Samosa -How to Make Crispy Onion Samosas At Home?
Onion samosa is a popular snack in India which is a counter item for another popular big,ball like Samosa.You can find them everywhere,especially in trains,movie Theatres,Cafes,tea-stalls.These are small in size sometimes called as Irani samosa is a perfect snack with evening cup of tea.
Here is the recipe for crispy,smacky Onion Samosas.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup Poah or flattened rice
- 1teaspoon cumin powder
- 1tablespoon chilli powder
- 3 cups All purpose flour
- 500ml oil
- required salt
- In a broader vessel add chopped onion,Poah,cumin powder,chilli powder,salt .Mix them thoroughly and allow it to rest for 15 minutes.In this preparation, I did not fry the onions because the water discharged from it will be absorbed by Poah.
For the pastry cover
- Add a tablespoon of oil to 3 cups of all purpose flour, and mix it thoroughly with flour in such a way that it must form a lump when you press it with your palm.Now add water little by little to get a stiff dough.Let it rest for 20 minutes.
Steps to make samosas
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes before dividing it into balls,until it becomes soft and smooth.
- Make equal balls of lemon size from the dough.
- With the help of roller pin make thin breads of 1mm thickness.
- Cut in the middle,now you will have two semicircular halves.
- Stuff the samosa cover with filling as it is shown in the photos. You have to fry them immediately otherwise the edges will split or you can use a paste made by mixing a tablespoon of cornflour in little water to bind the edges.
- In a deep frying pan add 500ml of oil,and fry the prepared samosas in a medium flame till it becomes golden brown in color and edges become crisp.Remove them from pan in a serving plate and serve it with sauce.
- You can replace Poah with carrot gratings or any vegetable,but fry it for few minutes before use along with chopped onions.
- If the samosas are not crispy, fry them in two stages.Fry them to 70% in the first stage and after an interval of 10 to 15 minutes fry them again to golden brown in the next stage.
Nutrition Value of Onion Samosa
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 12 g||4%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 200 mg||8%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Looking for Recipe for North Indian Samosa?
- Recipe for Samosa
Samosa or Singara is a stuffed snack in India,and Central Asia.It is a well known stuffed pastry consisting of an outer covering and filling which may have spiced potatoes,onions,peas,coriander.
Which is your favorite Samosa?
© 2013 cheeluarv