- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Unusual and Delicious Onion Pie Recipe
If you enjoy onions, you'll probably really love this unique recipe idea for a side dish that is all about onions. Even though onions usually take the background to other ingredients in both main and side dishes, they are the superstar of this delicious cheese and onion pie recipe .
Don't let the steps in this recipe fool you. It is very easy to make, and it turns out perfectly every time. Just follow the step-by-step instructions and you'll have a delicious cheese and onion pie side dish to enjoy in less than an hour.
Cheese and Onion Pie Recipe
- 10 medium onions
- 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon of basil
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 frozen pie crust
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pre-bake the pie crust for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
3. While skillet is heating, peel and thinly slice the onions.
Tip: The onion vegetables you use may be white, yellow, Vidalia, red, or any combination of these different varieties.
4. When skillet is hot, add extra virgin olive oil and allow it to heat for a few seconds.
5. Place the onions water, garlic, thyme, basil, and cayenne pepper, in the skillet and sauté over a medium heat until the onions are limp, which should take approximately 15 minutes.
6. While the onions are cooking, thinly slice the tomatoes.
7. When the onion cooking is complete, drain any remaining liquid from the pan.
8. Sprinkle half of the grated parmesan cheese all over the bottom of the pie crust. Put the onions in the pie crust.
9. Arrange the sliced tomatoes on top of the onions, and then sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese over the tomatoes.
10. Bake for 40 minutes, until the casserole is hot, bubbly, and browned.
- This pie is also great with shredded cheddar or Swiss cheese instead of parmesan cheese.
- If you like the flavor of oregano, add some in or substitute an Italian seasoning blend for the thyme and basil called for in the list of ingredients.
This side dish is great with beef dishes. The next time you are baking a meatloaf or beef roast, consider allowing an onion pie to bake in the oven along with your entrée. You'll make the most of the energy used to heat the oven, and you'll end up with a delicious dinner that every onion fan in your family will really enjoy.