Low Carb, Gluten-free Scotch Eggs
A low carbohydrate, keto, or paleo diet can often mean complicated breakfasts with intricate meal preparation. Let's think outside the box for simple, nutritious meals. Cook once and eat all week long!
This is a portable breakfast that fuels you appropriately and fills you up. Some people switch it up by using different types of sausage, others serve it with a dipping sauce. The rest of us enjoy it as is- because it is scrumptious!
- 1 lb Local, pastured ground sausage or pork, raw
- 7 farm fresh eggs
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbs spicy mustard
- 2 tbs half and half
- 0.5 cup keto "bread" crumps, almond flour or pork rinds
- 1 bowl ice water
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease six muffin pan cups.
- Place six eggs in a medium saucepan with water one inch above the eggs. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, then cover the pot and remove from heat. Let the pot sit covered for 3 minutes. Quickly transfer the eggs to ice water. Let cool for 5 minutes, then gently peel the eggs.
- Mix the sausage with spicy mustard. Some people choose to use turkey sausage or chorizo instead.
- Divide sausage into six even balls. If raw meat makes you squeamish, use gloves. Flatten the sausage balls into five little pancakes.
- Wrap each hard-boiled egg with the sausage pancakes.
- Crack an egg and mix with half & half creamer in one bowl. Dip sausage-covered eggs through egg picture and roll in keto crumb mixture.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until the sausage layer is fully cooked and the breadcrumbs are crispy. Top with salt and pepper, as needed.
Keto Scotch Eggs
|Serving size: 1 Scotch Egg|
|Calories from Fat||72|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 8 g||12%|
|Saturated fat 3 g||15%|
|Carbohydrates 0 g|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 29 g||58%|
|Cholesterol 230 mg||77%|
|Sodium 488 mg||20%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Part of a Perfectly Paleo Breakfast
I am a huge Walt Disney World fan. My inspiration for these little guys is from the Rose & Crown Pub in Epcot. I love to grab a hard cider and Scotch egg as we walk the World Showcase!
Take your own stroll down the happy lane as you eat these crunchy filling treats.
Scotch Eggs are fantastic:
- After a workout
- Before a big business meeting
- On a Whole30
- As part of a Low Carb, LCHF, Atkins, or ketogenic dieting plan
- For a portable breakfast
- The paleo diet, whole30
- If you're tired of traditional eggs
- Any time of day
Scotch Eggs Ratings
Paleo as a Way of Life
These have been a staple in my diet for a long time. They're healthier than donuts and just as portable.
Paleo living is easier than ever to do, and this gives you all the details on how to start a Paleo diet, with the tips, tricks and meals to help you to do it.
This article on a stricter 30 day version of the Paleo plan called the Whole 30 will provide plenty of health and weight loss benefits.
© 2015 Caitlin Goodwin