- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Pancake Day Time To Get Flipping!
It's Pancake day tommorrow. Also known as Shrove Tuesday. I have to admit i don't know anything about the meaning behind pancake day. I should have probably googled it by now. All I know is that 12th of february is Pancake day and I get to eat delicious homemade pancakes. Yes, my ignorance is bliss! Pancakes can be enjoyed at all times of the year for breakfast or a snack anytime of the day, but pancake day is when I over indulge and eat as many as my pan can make in one go. I know in America that maple syrup is a popular topping to drizzle over your pancakes, but here in England I don't think it is as popular. We like lemon or sugar or golden syrup (or all three if you are feeling pancake love) The batter for pancakes is just the same as what we use in Yorkshire for Yorkshire Puddings. So why not kill two birds with one stone and make a batch of pancakes for breakfast and with what is left make Yorkshire Puddings for dinner. Here is the method i've used for years to make my breakfast pancakes.
Makes Approx 3 pancakes depending on how big you want them
You will need:
* 2 beaten eggs
* 3 heaped table spoons of plain flour
* Some milk
* Some oil
* A jug
* A frying pan
1) Firstly, get your jug and beat the 2 eggs up into it.
2) Next add the 3 heaped tablespoons of plain flour to the mixture
3) Now put the milk in the jug until the egg mixture, flour and milk reads 300ml on the jug
4) Next warm a little oil in your frying pan, until it is hot
5) Pour a little of the mixture in the pan and move the pan around, so that the mixture spreads out evenly
6) when that side of the pancake is firm and cooked, flip it
7) Flip the pancake a few times until both sides are cooked
8) Place your pancake on plate and choose your favourite topping. A squeeze of lemon, a springle of sugar or a drizzle of syrup.
9) You could add fruit to your pancake topping. If you love stawberries or blueberries they go very well with pancakes sprinkled on top. You could even put some blueberries in your mixture.
10) Finally, repeat the process if you would like more pancakes.