Paneer Bhurji Recipe
Paneer Bhurji Recipe
Paneer or cottage cheese is a integral part of Indian cuisines. It is used to prapare wide variety of dishes. One of the easiest dish you can make using paneer is paneer bhurji.
Paneer means cottage cheese and bhurji means scrambled. So, as the name suggests paneer bhurji is a dish made from crumbled paneer.
This dish is very simple, where tomatoes are sauteed with spices to which crumbled paneer is added. This dish can be done in numerous ways. Very simple and quick recipe which does not take much time to prepare, but with an amazing and refreshing taste. Best for the beginners. Just quick toss of paneer with spices will create the magic. Simply irresistible. No fancy ingredients. Just under 15 minutes you have the paneer bhurji ready.
You can use home made or store brought paneer for this dish. This is egg bhurji inspired paneer dish and substitution dish to an egg bhurji for vegetarians.
Paneer is one of the great way to add protein to your diet especially if you are a vegetarian. Rich source of calcium. Good for diabetics as it gets digested slowly. Potassium in paneer lowers the blood pressure. It also keeps you energetic.
- 200 grams paneer or cottage cheese, home made or store brought
- 1-2 tomatoes, washed and chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons oil or ghee or butter, or as required
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- a pinch of hing or asafoetida
- 1-2 green chilies, or as required
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2-1 teaspoon red chili powder, or as required
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2-1 teaspoon garam masala powder, or as required
- 1 teaspoon sambar powder, home made or store brought
- salt as per taste
How to make Paneer Bhurji
- Crumble or grate paneer or cottage cheese and keep aside.
- Wash and chop tomatoes and keep aside.
- In a pan or pot, heat oil or ghee or butter. (Or you can use mixture of these).
- To this hot oil, add cumin seeds, hing or asafoetida and green chilies. Let cumin seeds crackle.
- Now add chopped tomatoes, saute and cook till soft.
- To this add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and sambar powder. (I used home made sambar powder, you can use store brought too).
- Stir the spice powders.
- Now add crumbled or grated paneer and salt, stir and cook for 1-2 minutes. Switch off the flame.
- Tasty paneer bhurji is ready to taste. Serve hot with roti, chapati, or paratha. Or use as stuffing for sandwiches or rolls.
More about Paneer Bhurji
- You can use home made or store brought paneer for this dish.
- You can use onions in this dish.
- Cook paneer only for 1-2 minutes. Cooking long time will make them hard, rubbery and chewy.
- You can use coriander leaves to garnish.
- You can even add vegetables like carrots, peas, capsicum, greens etc to make it more healthier and colorful. (This makes mixed veg paneer bhurji).
- If you are making for kids then adjust the spices accordingly.
- You can squeeze lemon juice which is optional.
- You can add pav bhaji masala which gives different flavor to this bhurji. (This is Mumbai style paneer bhurji).
- Making this bhurji in ghee or butter will make it more rich and tasty. (Or you can mix both as well).
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||180|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 20 g||31%|
|Saturated fat 8 g||40%|
|Carbohydrates 7 g||2%|
|Sugar 3 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 42 mg||14%|
|Sodium 850 mg||35%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|