- Food and Cooking»
- Dietary Restrictions»
- Dietary Restrictions for Health
Perfect Bolognese Sauce (Paleo, Gluten Free)
- 1 lb organic grass fed ground beef
- 1 lb organic Italian turkey sausage, ground or removed from casing
- 1/2 jar half dried tomatoes (see recipe), (you can use 1 can of diced tomatoes if you prefer. The fresh dried tomatoes are just delicious)
- 1 tbsp beef tallow (or olive oil, butter, ghee)
- 2 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2-3 celery stalks, diced
- 2-3 carrots, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, diced
- 3 cups homemade broth, beef or chicken
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1-2 tbsp grass fed butter
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp pink Himilayan sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1-3 zucchinis, Julianned as noodles
- In a dutch oven (or large pot), add beef tallow over medium- high heat. Add garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add onions, celery, carrots, and mushrooms. Saute, stirring frequently, until onions are translucent and vegetables have started to soften.
- Add ground beef and sausage, breaking apart the meat with your spoon. Add nutmeg, oregano, basil, thyme, salt, pepper, and parsley. Blend the spices into the meat and vegetables and stir frequently until the meat is fully cooked. This will take roughly 10-20 minutes.
- Add wine, deglazing the pan or dutch oven, if necessary. Allow the wine to reduce by half , still continue to stir the mixture. Add homemade broth, half dried tomatoes and tomato paste and combine well. Bring the boiling mixture to a simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not put a lid on the pan. (If your sauce looks really thin, do not worry. It will thicken as it cooks.)
- Add 1-2 tbsp of butter to make the bolognese more creamy (you can add more if you like). Let the mixture continue to simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
- During the last 30 minutes, cook the zucchini noodles in a pan with beef tallow. I do not spice the noodles because the bolognese sauce is so vibrant and robust.
© 2016 Healthy Habits