Perfect Pico de Gallo
Pico de Gallo
Funny Name, Good Eating
Pico de gallo is a Mexican food dish that is nutricious and delicious. It is also called salsa fresca or salsa mexicana. It is a condiment made of fresh vegetables. The staples of this dish include fresh tomatoes, onion, and chili (jalapeno or serrano) peppers. Variations of pico de gallo can also include lime juice, cider vinegar, cucumbers, radish, cilantro, and firm fruit. Pico de gallo is spanish for "beak of the rooster". It was called this because originally it was eaten with the forefinger and thumb, which resembles a rooster pecking food (at least this is the explanation my research gave).
This condiment is great with tortilla chips, tacos, fajitas, and quesodillas. It is also great served in sopa de pollo (see my recipe) with slices of avocado and lime wedges. Give this fresh salsa a try. It is delicious.
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 medium jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 tbsp jar kind)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 medium limes (juice only)
- to taste salt and black pepper
- Place all vegetable ingredients in the food processor and process until diced small.
- Pour diced vegetables into a medium bowl with a lid. Pour in the seasonings, vinegar, and lime juice. Stir to blend well. Let sit in the refrigerator for at least an hour to blend the flavors.
- Serve chilled with tortilla chips, Mexican food dishes, or as a topping for sopa de pollo.