Polish Pierogies Recipe
Pierogi Polish Food Recipe
Pierogies are a traditional Polish food. Even though I am not Polish, they are one of my favorites. A pierogi is a stuffed square pasta filled with anything from mashed potatoes to cheese. Cream cheese is often used.
The following recipe was handed down by a Polish cook. Try this recipe and you'll want to make them again and again.Your entire family will love them.
You can use different fillings once you have tried making them once. The first time my husband had them, they were filled with both mash potatoes and cheese and he came home and told me to find out how to make them. I later had some filled with just cream cheese. Both ways are delicious.
- 4 c all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 5 Tbsp sour cream
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 c water
- Filling Ingredients
- 2 # dry cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 tsp onion salt
1. Mix all of the filling ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Sift flour into a large bowl. Make a well into the center of the flour.
3. Break eggs into well and add the 5 Tbsp of sour cream, oil and salt. Blend these ingredients all together with your fingertips, gradually adding 3/4 cup water until the mixture forms a dough.
4. Divide into 4 parts. Roll out 1/4 of the dough at a time.
5. Cut the dough with a biscuit cutter. Place a small spoonful of filling a little to one side on each round of dough.
6. Moisten the edge with a little water and fold over. Press edges together firmly. Be sure they are sealed so the filling does not run out.
7. Drop the pierogies into salted boiling water. Never crowd the pierogi or it will stick together. Cook gently for 3-5 minutes or until the pierogis rise to the top of the pan.
8. Lift out of water with a perforated spoon.
9. Serve hot.
You'll enjoy making and eating this recipe for years to come.
Thanks for visiting my hub. I hope enjoy making these. I think pierogies will become one of your favorite dishes too.
Other Recipes You'll Enjoy
- How to Make Michigan Pasties + Recipe
If you travel to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, you can't miss the restaurant signs for pasties. Pasties are a food that was brought here from Cornwall, England by Cornish miners. The pasty was an easy meal...
- Old German Cookie Recipe - Sand Tarts
This recipe brings back memories of my Grandma. She was the second generation from Germany to be in this country and her mother brought along with her all of the good recipes from Germany. Everything was...
- Home Canning
Make your own spaghetti sauce, pickles, relish, castsup, pizza sauce, pie filling and more. Great home canning recipes.