- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Plantains: Health Benefits: Healthy Recipes Made of Ripe Plantains
Often we confuse to differentiate between bananas and plantains. But, it is not so difficult task. If you observe closely, they look different and also, smell different. However, both these varieties belong to the same family.
Plantains are eaten in cooked form, as they are not suitable to eat raw. Plantain fruits are less sweeter compared to ripe bananas. Plantains are starchy and fleshy. They are used in making delicious dishes, both savory and sweet. Inhabitants of many regions depended on plantains as the main source of food. Consuming plantains has many health benefits.
Health Benefits of Plantains:
1. Plantains are a rich source of starch and energy.
2. It contains a high amount of dietary fiber which helps in easy bowel movement and prevents constipation.
3. Plantain has more vitamin A when compared to banana. It is a good antioxidant too. Vitamin A helps in vision care, maintaining healthy mucous membranes, and enhances skin complexion.
4. Plantain is a good source of vitamin C. They have more amount of vitamin C than bananas. Consumption of food with vitamin C helps in fighting against infectious diseases and also protects from harmful oxygen-free radicals.
5. Like banana, plantain is also rich in vitamin B-complex, especially high in vitamin B6(pyridoxine).
Pyridoxine is an important vitamin B complex that plays a beneficial role in the treatment of anemia, neuritis, and to lower homocysteine(a cause factor for coronary artery diseases and strokes) level in the body.
6. Plantains also contain folates, niacin, riboflavin, and thiamin. Folates(folic acid) are essential for healthy pregnancy.
7. Plantains are also a rich source of minerals, such as iron, magnesium, and phosphorous. Magnesium is known to be essential for bone strengthening and cardiac protection as well.
8. They contain more potassium content than bananas. Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that help in controlling blood pressure and heart rate as well as countering negative effects of sodium.
9. Plantains are known to be diuretic. Hence, they can help in preventing kidney and bladder problems.
10. Consuming plantains eases the discomfort associated with menstrual periods.
Seeing all these benefits, it is worth including plantains in your food consumption.
1.Easy and Delicious-Under fifteen Minutes Plantain Desserts Recipe:
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking: 10 minutes
Ready in 15 minutes
Serves 6 people
1. 2 ripe plantains, skin removed and sliced
2. 1 cup sugar, for the syrup
3. 1/4 cup, ghee or butter
4. 3 cardamoms, powdered
Step-By-Step Images and Instructions of Making Plantain Dessert:
- Take ripe plantains, remove the skin. Make a medium thick slices. Refer the photo.
- Heat one cup water in a kadhai. Add sugar to it. Boil for about ten minutes. This is the sugar syrup. Add powdered cardamom. Keep the container covered.
- Heat ghee or butter in a wide pan. Let the fire be lower. Place plantain slices on the ghee, one touching the other. Cook till the bottom gets a brownish color. Make all the slices upside down. Cook till the other side becomes brownish. Strain, remove on a plate. Repeat the procedure for all the slices.
- Take 2-3 tablespoons of the medium hot sugar syrup in a serving bowl. Immerse five slices of shallow fried slices into it. Enjoy eating the delicious dessert.
- This dessert is meant for immediate use. The plantain remains crispy and fresh for a few hours. Hence, you should finish this sweet within a day. Always serve it with a medium hot sugar syrup.
- Add sugar syrup on the plantain slices at the time of serving. If you immerse them for a long time, the slices tend to absorb the sugar syrup and start becoming heavy, losing the crispiness.
2. Ripe Plantain Pudding:
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Ready in 15 minutes
Serves 4 people
1. 2, ripe plantains, skin removed, sliced
2. 1/2 cup, jaggery, powdered
3. 1/4 cup, ghee or butter, for shallow frying
4. 4, cardamoms, powdered
5. 1/4 cup, coconut, grated
6. a pinch of salt, for taste
Step-By-Step Images and Instructions of Making Ripe Plantain Pudding:
- Peel the skin. Slice the plantains.
- Heat ghee/butter in a wide pan. Place the slices on the pan. Cook them till the bottom part turns brownish. Turn and cook the other side also.
- Add jaggery powder and cardamom powder to the pan. Mix well. Let the heat be minimum. Mash the plantain slices. Cook till the jaggery melts, gives out a nice smell, and the content thickens.
- Finally, add grated coconut. Stir once. Put off the fire. Transfer the dessert to a serving bowl. Enjoy eating it! This sweet dish remains fresh for three days in normal temperature. You will surely enjoy the tempting aroma of plantains in this pudding.
More Information On these Desserts:
- As both the desserts are made in ghee or butter, they are very nutritious. Ghee gives strength and immunity to the body. It is also good for bones. It is helpful for lowering joint pains. It helps in lowering cholesterol and aids in improving the overall health.
- You can enjoy the natural, fresh aroma of the plantains in these dishes.
- You can use more ghee/ butter if you are serving it for kids and young adults.