How to make Polvoron Dessert
A sweet dessert
Polvoron came from the spanish word "POLVO" which means "POWDER. It is known in Spain, Latin America and of course in the Philippines. The Spaniards ruled the country for a long time, that they have influenced our culture and cooking. The spanish had contributed a lot of recipe to Filipino's during the Spanish Colonial period. One of the their influenced recipes for dessert, is the Polvoron. Aside from it's delicious, it's easy to prepare.
There are more traditional polvoron recipe that been made. Our own version uses more of the powdered milk, we use margarine in replacement to butter. This includes Polvoron with pinipig, is similar with crisped rice. Other uses peanuts and even cookies and cream. You can try inventing your taste for the Polvoron.
This is the dessert that your children will truly love. It's one of my favorite. Polvoron is made from a mixture of Flour, Sugar, Powdered Milk & Butter.
This powdered candy is also use one of Filipino children's game. You eat one and you whistle, whoever gets the perfect whistle wins. You can try it, it's fun!
Here's how to make a homemade polvoron.
1. Polvoron Molder
2. Cellophane cut into square- for wrapping
3. Strainer- for sifting flour
4. Pan- for toasting flour
5. Measuring cups
How do you do it
- 4 cups All Purpose Flour, sifted
- 2 cups Powdered Milk
- 1 1/2 cup sugar Brown Sugar
- 1 cup Butter, Melted
- Toast Sifted Flour on the pan and mix well for 15 minutes
- When it turns brown, add powdered milk & sugar, and the melted butter.
- Mix well, transfer it on a bowl. Let it cool for a 5 minutes
- Scoop it using molder and put it on a cellophane wrapper.
- You can make around 50 to 60 pcs depending on your size of the molder
My first polvoron making
The Whistling Game using the Polvoron
The whistle game using Polvoron is so much fun. We've done it in school during Christmas party. But today, it is more fun when played by elders. Who can whistle while eating Polvoron or even after eating it?
Here's the mechanics:
- Two or more participants are competing by eating polvoron. Whoever gets the perfect whistle wins. That Simple.
Polvoron Eating Contest
SERVING SIZE: 1PC
% Daily value
Total Fat 2.0 g