- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- South Asian Cuisine
India has a huge coast line and 3 side of India is covered by sea. Thus sea food is very popular in west, south and east of India. India has a very big variety of sea food with countless varieties of fishes from very small fish to big game fish and It is also rich in crabs and prawns to name a few of sea food. Fish are rich source of energy and are very heart friendly as they got hugh supply of Omega 3 fatty acids. One of the most common fish which is eaten as delicacy is Pomfret. Though it is costly but it is easily available all over India and around the world. It is not a big fish and it is prepared as full fish. It looks very pleasing to eye and very tasty to eat and children love this recipe a lot.
1. Pomfret: 2 (1 pound/500 grams each)
2. Onion: 1 red
3. Oil: Enough to shallow fry the fish.
4. Lemon: 2
5. Salt: To taste
6. Lemon Juice: I Tbsp
7. Turmeric Powder: ½ Tsp
For making paste:
1. Whole red chilies: 8
2. Garlic: 8 cloves.
3. Cumin seeds: ½ Tsp
4. Peppercorns: 6
5. Ginger: 2 ( 1 inch pieces)
6. Cloves: 4-5
7. Cinnamon: ½ inch stick.
8. Vinegar: 2 Tbsp
9. Sugar: 1 Tsp
Salt : to taste
1. Take the fish and wash them properly.
2. Clean fishes thoroughly and pat dry them.
3. Take a very sharp knife and make diagonal slits on the sides of the fishes.
4. Now in a small pan mix thoroughly salt, lemon juice and turmeric powder.
5. Now take this mixture and rub thoroughly on the fish both inside and outside.
6. Now keep the salted fish in refrigerator for 30 to 40 minutes so the fish absorb all the aroma and taste of the mixture.
7. Now take all ( 1 to 10) ingredients for making paste and put them in a grinder.
8. Now grind them to a smooth paste , use little water if required.
9. Now take this paste and apply on the refrigerated fish.
10. Apply thoroughly on both inside and outside of fish and again keep aside in refrigerator for 15 to 20 minutes.
11. Now take the onion and cut in to slices and separate in to rings.
12. Now take the lemons and cut them in to wedges.
13. Keep onion and lemon wedges aside.
14. Now take a heavy base pan and heat little oil in to it.
15. Shallow fry the fish on both sides.
16. Make sure the fish is fried till golden brown and then immediately taken off the pan.
17. Now garnish the fish hot with lemon wedges and onion rings.
18. Serve with Coriander/ cilantro chutney .
1. Fish do not need much oil to fry so keep the oil to minimum.
2. Do not over fry the fish.