- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Pork Fried Rice
Did It Fry Right?
- 1 lb Ground Pork, Extra Lean
- 1 cup Long Grain Rice
- 2 cups Water
- 3/4 cup Carrots, Cubed
- 1 cup Snow Peas, Rinsed and ends removed
- 3 Green Onions
- 3 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1-2 inch cube Ginger, Peeled and finely diced
- 3 Tbsp Soy Sauce, Plus more for seasoning rice
- 1 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1 tsp Honey
- 1 tsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp Sriracha Sauce
- To Taste Salt & Pepper
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Butter, (optional)
- 1 Tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1/2 tsp Chinese Five Spice
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
Get this party started.
- Put rice, 1 tsp salt, water, and butter into 2 qt saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 12 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- While the rice cooks, prepare the vegetables. Peel and chop the carrots (depending on the size of the carrot this could be 2-4). Rinse and remove the ends of the snow peas, including any tough membrane that comes off. Place in same bowl.
- Rinse the green onion. Discard the root end. Thinly slice the white portion and put into a new bowl. Slice the green tops into a different container and save for garnishing. Mince the garlic and ginger and place in the same bowl as the white roots of the onion.
- Premix (whisk) the soy sauce, Hoisin, Honey, Vinegar, Sriracha, Chinese Five Spice, Garlic Powder, and Black Pepper to taste. Heat a large, non-stick saute pan to medium-high and add the ground pork. Cook the pork, breaking it up into small pieces until it is no longer pink. Add the sauce mixture, and simmer to reduce for 4-5 minutes.
- While the pork is cooking, break the eggs into a bowl and whisk with salt and pepper.
- When the pork is finished, transfer to a bowl and leave the oil and seasoning in the pan. Add the carrot/pea mixture and cook for 5 minutes or until softened, stirring frequently. Add the other veggies and cook and additional 2 minutes.
- It's time to fry the rice. Add the rice to the saute pan. Drizzle with sesame oil, an additional 1-2 Tbsp of soy sauce (to taste), and stir quickly. Add the whisked egg. The egg will begin to cook on the surface of the pan immediately. Stir the rice quickly at first, then slowly to let the rice brown slightly on the pan and to let remaining liquid evaporate. The egg will begin to appear in small bits around the rice.
- When the rice is cooked through, add the pork and reserved sauce. Stir thoroughly to combine and heat through.
- Plate the fried rice and garnish with the green onion tops.
Prepping the Veggies
Seasoning the Ground Pork
Saute the Veggies in the Pork Drippings
Chinese Five Spice
© 2016 Melissa Althen