- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines
Portuguese Recipes: Azevias de batata doce, a delicious traditional sweet.
The azeivas or empanadilhas doces are some kind of sweet fried pasties made of sweet potato, typical from Portugal, and traditionally eaten on Christmas' eve. I discovered them a few weeks ago in a pastelaria during my stay here in Peniche and I found them one of the most delicious sweets I've ever tasted, so I asked for the recipe to my neighbor, and here is the result.
If you are looking for an exotic touch for your Christmas eve's menu, this is the perfect recipe, everyone will love them.
Ingredients (for 40 u.)
- 500 gr. (1,1 lb) Flour
- 25 gr. (0,06 lb) Butter, melted
- 5 gr. (0,01 lb) Salt
- 3 dl. (1.5 cups) Water
- 500 gr. (1,1 lb) Sweet potato
- 300 gr. (0.66 lb) Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 Lemon peel, grated
- 2 Egg yolks
- Begin by mixing the flour, salt and butter on a bowl. Work the mixture until it is homogeneous. Add water gradually and knead until elastic and smooth. Cover with a plastic bag or film for at least 50 minutes.
- While waiting for the dough, bake the sweet potatoes with the skin, and then peel them and smash them until pureed. Now add the yolks, the lemon peel and the cinnamon, and mix it.
- In a saucepan, bring to boil water with the sugar and cook it for a minute. Then add the puree and stir for 2 minutes until thickened. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Now take a piece of the dough and make a ball with it. Knead it and once it is extended add the puree mixture in the center. Now fold the dough to cover the mixture like an empanada. Each one of these will be 1 azeiva. Repeat this process until the dough and the puree are finished.
- Put some oil on a pan at medium heat and when it is hot, add the azeivas to fry. Once fried put them on a plate.
- On a different plate mix some sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle the mixture on the azeivas.
This is how the azeiva should look like once done.
If your azeivas look like this, then they're ready to serve. Bom apetite!
© 2013 Katia De Juan