Potato Fry With Fresh Ground Spices
About the recipe
Potato is one of the most versatile and widely used vegetable with which variety of dishes can be prepared. Most of the recipes can be enhanced with the addition of potatoes.
This Potato fry is different from other usual potato fry as it uses freshly ground spices which makes this dish more flavorful, unique and gives a refreshing taste. Must try for all potato lovers and those who love spicy food.
In this recipe aromatic spices are ground and then sprinkled on onion and potatoes. These spices coat the outside of the potatoes which gives it a beautiful look and superb flavor. Hot and spicy, simple yet delicious and out of the world recipe. Gluten free and vegan. Very easy which you can make in minutes. Serve this dish with sambar-rice, rasam-rice or curd rice. It tastes amazing with anything and everything. Try this and I am sure you will like it.
- 2-3 potatoes, washed, peeled and cubed
- 1-2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2-3 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1-2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1-2 teaspoons fennel seeds or saunf
- 1-2 teaspoons cooking oil or ghee
- 1/4 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 1-2 red chilies, broken
- 1-2 green chilies, finely chopped
- salt according to taste
- 1-2 springs fresh curry leaves, chopped
Method of preparation
- Wash and peel the skin of potatoes. Cut into equal sized cubes.
- Take these cubes in a vessel, add water and cook in medium flame for 5-10 minutes or until cooked. (You can cook potatoes in pressure cooker too).
- Once potatoes gets cooked, drain water and keep aside.
- Slice 1-2 onions, chop green chilies and keep aside.
- In a pan take 2-3 teaspoons coriander seeds, 1-2 teaspoons cumin seeds and fennel seeds. Dry roast in low flame for about 3-4 minutes or till slightly brown and fragrant.
- Once cool down take these spices in a mixer jar ( or use mortar and pestle) and coarsely grind. Keep aside.
- In the same pan, heat oil. Add broken red chilies.
- Then add sliced onions, fry till it turns golden brown in color.
- Now add boiled potatoes. To this add turmeric powder, chopped green chilies ground spices and salt. Mix till spices gets coated properly on potatoes.
- Garnish with chopped fresh curry leaves.
- Serve hot with rice-sambar combination or rice-rasam combination. You can serve it with curd rice too.
More about potato fry with ground spice
- You can cook potatoes in pressure cooker also. You can pressure cook them first, then peel and cube.
- You can use precooked potatoes or can cook potatoes after adding ground spice.
- You can boil potatoes, then peel and cut into cubes or first peel and cut onto cubes and then boil them.
- If you are not using boiled potatoes, then immerse potatoes in water till you need it.
- Increase or decrease the number of red chilies and green chilies according to your spice level.
- I used regular potatoes for this recipe, you can use baby potatoes too.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||45|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 5 g||8%|
|Carbohydrates 73 g||24%|
|Sugar 4 g|
|Fiber 10 g||40%|
|Protein 9 g||18%|
|Sodium 29 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|