Potato Salad Recipe w Dill
Vote for Potato Salad w Dill
Your Nugget of Nutritional Info for this post:
Mr. Potato heads this breakdown of health benefits. A member of the nightshade family, you can buy taters year round, but it isn't their availability that makes them the world's #1 crop.
A good source of Vitamins B6 and C, this satisfying carb provides copper, potassium, manganese, and dietary fiber, too, and is a surprising source of phytonutrients (aka antioxidants) These include carotenoids & flavonoids, caffeic acid & patatin, all of which provide protection against free radicals.
Recipe in Rebus:
- 4 cups Yukon Gold Potatoes, 6-8 taters, usually
- 4-6 stalks celery
- 4-6 eggs, free range & cage free
- 8 oz black olives, sliced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 oz dill, usually packaged as a "bunch"
- 2 oz chives
- Dash paprika
- Dash salt
- Generous sprinkling ground pepper
How to Do It:
- Wash potatoes, and cube into 1" squares.
- Place in rapidly boiling water, and reduce to a gentle boil. Boil for 10 minutes ONLY - else taters can get mushy and fall apart as you mix. Sometimes I "cheat" and boil my eggs here, too, for just the same amount of time, but placed in water at the beginning. Generally, though, it's better to boil these a day ahead of time, so they're nice and cold when you add them to the salad.
- While potatoes cook, prepare the wet mix.
- Start with sour cream.
- Add mayonnaise.
- Add a little squirt of Dijon mustard, and mix together.
- Drain potatoes, and mix with this immediately...and carefully, because the potatoes are fragile no matter how long they are cooked. (The heat helps the spuds absorb the mix)
- Now start adding stuff!
- I start with the herbs - dill goes in first.
- Then the chives...
- Lots and lots of pepper! Stir well.
- Add celery.
- Add sliced olives. Mix together well.
- When adding the egg slices, it's best to layer them into the mix carefully, as they are even more fragile than the spuds. I grab a casserole dish, spread out the mixture, layer with eggs, and cover with salad.
- Once thoroughly assembled, dust with paprika, and serve. This obviously goes great with BBQ, while veggie burgers make a nice alternative for the vegetarians out there. (go veggies!!)