Potato Salad Recipe A Simple Summer Side Dish
Potato Salad Summer Family Recipe
Family Recipe for a simple summer dish great with so many foods we eat during the summer. This dish is best made a day ahead to let the seasonings really absorb into the potatoes. Use 5 pounds of white Idaho potatoes. You can increase by double when you plan on serving more then 15 people. Our family eats off of the 5 pound quantity all week. It equals one full gallon when fully mixed.
I never liked potato salad growing up, but I found the more simple the recipe; the better I liked it.This is a 3rd generation mom recipe.
The best way to season food that is in a big batch is in a big enough bowl and add the ingredients 1/3 of them at a time; add seasoning, Miracle Whip and mix well. Then add more and mix again. You will find the food is more evenly coated and you may need less seasoning then dumping it all on top and trying to mix the dense ingredients.
If you prefer another brand instead of Miracle Whip, that is fine to use the brand your family prefers.
Ingredients for Potato Salad
- 5 pounds Idaho White Potatoes, or any brand (Yukon) is a great flavor too
- 1 pint 14 oz Miracle Whip, 1 jar
- 2-3 Dill Pickles, Chopped finely
- 1 Onion small to medium size, Chopped finely
- 7 hardboiled eggs, Boil only 10 minutes
- 2 Teaspoons Mustard - yellow, Any brand
- 2 - 3 teaspoons Celery Salt
- 1 - 3 teaspoons Pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons Salt or No Salt (no sodium)
Preparing and Mixing the Potato Salad
- Peel the potatoes. Boil the potatoes whole on High heat in a big pot of water. Add 1 teaspoon salt to the water. You don't want to cook them til they are too soft like for mashed potatoes. Once at the boiling point, cook for 12-15 minutes.
- While cooking potatoes, prepare the other ingredients. Check the potatoes, if foaming on top, skim off with a large spoon to remove it. Use a fork to check for doneness, if it pearces through, it is done.
- Boil the eggs. Place in a pot of cold water, add 1 tsp salt to the pot. Once at boiling, cook only 10 minutes and then remove and add cold water to cool them in the sink.
- Cut the pickles. Slice thinly and in chunks with juices.
- Chop the onion.
- Once eggs are cool enough, peel and remove the egg shells fully. Chop the eggs.
- Drain the potatoes and let them cool til you can touch them and cut them into bite sized pieces. They should be a little firm to hold their shape well.
- In a large mixing bowl (that will hold a gallon of food) Add 1/3 of the potatoes, seasoning and miracle whip. Mix well. Repeat till all are incorporated and mixed well.
- Add the mustard and mix again.
- Taste and add more seasoning. You may need to add more celery salt, pepper, or regular salt or all 3 and mix again.
- Cover this dish and refrigerate for 4 hours to 24 hours. Eating it the following day is better and much tastier.
- Serve as a side dish with any summer dinner or picnic and at family reunions.
Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Mac and Cheese Recipe Baked In a Smoker
Mac and Cheese recipe. Cooked in an electic smoker. Baked pasta with a smoke flavor. Perfect mac and cheese in one hour after 15 minutes to prepare the dish. Mac and cheese pictures and video guide with the recipe.