- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
Easy and Healthy Potluck Recipes From Korea
EXOTIC HEALTY POTLUCK DISH
Korean Bulgogi, marinated beef or other meat
This dish is prepared with Flank Steak. However, if you use the shortest marinating time, you can use hamburger or ground chuck. Other meats that can be prepared as Bulgogi are pork steak, buffalo meat, and chicken. Fish is not usually successful int his recipe, because it falls apart in the marinade.
For a quick potluck meal, you can skip the bedding ingredients for the dish and use just the sauteed meat & vegetables (bean sprouts and green peppers) as an entrée. it is even good cold, over ramen-style noodles, which are quick to cook (just minutes). The meat can also be eaten as a finger food if wrapped in fresh lettuce leaves.
TOOLS AND UTENSILS
- Sanitized Counter Top
- Baking Sheet
- Aluminum Foil
- Garlic Press
- Clean Cutting Board
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Chopping Knife
- Large Basting Brush
- Charcoal Grill or Table Top Grill or Hibachi
- Kitchen/BBQ Tongs
- 1/2 cup Lite Soy Sauce
- 1/2 cup Organic Honey
- 2 teaspoons Sesame Oil
- 1 bunch of 5-6 Green Onions or Scallions, minced
- --use all of the white portion of the onion or scallion, plus 1/2 of the green tails, beginning at the end of the white sections.
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced Garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh Ginger
- ¼ cup toasted Sesame Seeds
- 1 lb of Flank Steak cut across the grain into thin slices ¼ inch thick
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- Parsley, chopped for garnish
BEDDINGS, TOPPINGS AND SIDE DISHES (Choose your favorites)
- Crinkly-leaf or soft-leaf lettuce, chopped into thin strips or shredded.
- Kimchi (hot pickled cabbage)
- Steamed white rice or ramen-style noodles.
- Sautéed Bean Sprouts.
- Cold Cucumber Soup.
- Home Made Egg Rolls.
ASSEMBLY AND PREPARATION
- Lay out a long sheet of Aluminum Foil over a baking sheet, enough to roll and wrap one pound of meat and marinade. When you wrap it up, make sure to fold in the ends to prevent drips.
- Peel 4 cloves of garlic and chop fine or put through Garlic Press.
- In a mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, honey sesame oil, onions or scallions, garlic, ginger, olive oil, and 2 tablespoons of the sesame seeds. Set aside to meld flavors.
- Cut steak into strips and place on the sheet of Aluminum Foil.
- Using a pastry brush, paint the beef strips with the marinade several times until all strips are well coasted. Using kitchen tongs, turn the strips over once or twice. Save any remaining marinade for later.
- Roll up the Aluminum Foil carefully and fold over the ends to trap the marinade. Place the baking sheet and meat into the refrigerator for 15 minutes. For times you have more time and want a richer flavor, leave overnight or for at least 4 hours. Refrigerate any marinade remaining as well.
- Over a charcoal fire or Hibachi grill, lay several strips at a time of marinated meat onto the grill and coat with remaining marinade mixture. Cook until medium to well-done.
- [Cooking can also be done in a heavy skillet in to which 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil has been brought to high heat and beginning to smoke. Sauté meat on both sides for 3-4 minutes.]
- On a serving platter, place a layer of shredded lettuce, with a layer of white rice on top. A layer of lightly sautéed (in vegetable oil) bean sprouts can go on top of the rice. Next, place the beef on top. Garnish with any remaining shredded lettuce, sesame seeds, and parsley.
- Grilled green pepper strips are often also serviced as a side garnish with Bulgogi. They may be brushed with the marinade before grilling. Cold Cucumber Soup. Home Made Egg Rolls, and Kimchi are great accompanying dishes for this entrée.