Slow Cooker Provencal Beef Stew Recipe
Slow Cooker Recipe Book
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 6 hours
- Ready in: 6 hours 30 min
- Yields: Serves 4
Rate this Recipe
There is nothing better than a nice fresh stew on a cold winters evening, and this beef provencal style stew is rich and flavourful. Made with simple whole foods and just a touch of red wine, it is also cheap to make and pretty healthy, which is great. Serve it with mashed potatoes and a chunk of thick bread or a crusty roll for the perfect homely evening meal that all the family will enjoy.
The original recipe for this dish was found in a slow cooker book by Catherine Atkinson (which you will find on the right). We kept it very close to the original recipe as it suited our tastes so this is more her recipe than ours. If you are into cooking with your slow cooker (crock-pot) I really advise you get Catherine Atkinson book as it is truly the best slow cooker book we have ever had, full of really tasty simple recipes that are filling and cheap, perfect in the current financial climate when everyone is needing to tighten the purse strings a little.
The Finished Dish
What you will need:
- 115g Thick Cut Smoked Bacon, Diced
- 900g Stewing Steak or Other Cut of Beef, Cubed
- 1 Large White Onion, Finely Sliced
- 1 Small White Onion, Peeled and Studded with a few Cloves
- 2 Large Carrots, Sliced
- 2 Large Tomatoes, Peeled, Seeded and Chopped
- 3tbsp Olive Oil
- 2tsp Tomato Puree
- 2 cloves/1tsp Garlic/Lazy Garlic, Finely Chopped if using Cloves
- 250ml Fruity Red Wine
- 150ml Beef Stock
- 1 Bouquet Garni
- 1/2 Unwaxed Orange, Juiced and zest grated off
- 1tbsp Fresh Chopped Parsley
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
How to make Provencal Beef Stew
- First put the slow cooker on high to heat. Then heat 1tbsp oil in a frying pan and add the chopped bacon, cook until starting to brown all over. Using a slated spoon move the bacon into the slow cooker.
- Using the remaining oil in the frying pan, slowly cook the beef cubes in small batches until browned all over, transferring to the slow cooker using a slated spoon as you are going - add more oil if needed.
- Once all the meat is browned and in the slow cooker add the red wine, bouquet garni and the cloved onion.
- Add the remaining oil to the frying pan and add the onions, cook for around 5 minutes, then add the carrots and heat for another 5 minutes, until everything is starting to soften.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato puree and garlic to the frying pan, stir the mixture together and heat for a further few minutes, then transfer it all to the slow cooker.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and allow to cook on high for 5-7 hours. Once ready to serve, skim off any excess fat, remove the bouquet garni and clove studden onion and stir in the orange zest and juice and parsley.
- Then simply serve with mashed potato and a crusty roll and enjoy!
Step by Step images
The Facts and Figures
|Calories from Fat||243|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 27 g||42%|
|Saturated fat 9 g||45%|
|Carbohydrates 8 g||3%|
|Sugar 7 g|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 55 g||110%|
|Cholesterol 170 mg||57%|
|Sodium 682 mg||28%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Try one of these alternatives
Here are a few alternative idea to make this dish even tastier
1. This dish would also taste great with lamb or even chicken cubes
2. If you want it veggie, replace the bacon and beef with some extra veggies - try leeks, mushrooms, celery, or even add some pearl barley to bulk it out
3. Try serving over rice instead of potatoes for something different, or just have on it's own for a lighter lunch time meal
Other Slow Cooker Recipes
- Slow Cooker Recipe - Jamie Oliver's Ham Joint or Gam...
How to cook a ham in a slow cooker. Cooking a ham in Coca Cola or Coke then baking the ham in a lovely sticky aromatic glaze, it is a great yummy dish that the whole family will enjoy and will be perfect served hot or cold
- Slow Cooker Recipes - Lamb with Figs Recipe for the Slow Cooker
A great ethnic recipe for Lamb and Fig Tagine made in the Slow Cooker. This rich dish is great served with couscous, and will be a brilliant way to get new ingredients into your kids. The lamb is very tender thanks to the slow cooking and the dish is
- Slow Cooker Recipes - How to make a simple moroccan Lamb Tagine in the Slow Cooker
A simple yummy recipe for a lamb tagine in the slow cooker! Its easy, its yummy, its healthy and its cheap (ish!) This gives you a great aromatic sweet moroccan stew that can be served over couscous, rice or vegetables.
- Easy Slow Cooker Recipes - Best Sausage Casserole Recipe for the Slow Cooker
The best, most filling sausage casserole/cassoulet recipe for the slow cooker. Yummy and fairly healthy, guaranteed to be a big hit with all the family.
- Lamb and Leek Curry Recipe for the Slow Cooker
Great recipe for a tasty, filling mild curry. Can be made in the slow cooker or on the hob. It is super simple to make and great for the whole family.