Healthier Dinners in 30 Minutes or Less
Food Can Lower Healthcare Costs
Obesity and overeating can result in a wide range of various diseases and conditions. America is second fattest country in North America, just behind Mexico. The US was first in obesity until 2013, and the country can continue to improve the health of its residents even more. This may begin with healthier home cooking.
Eating healthier meals can help reduce high blood pressure, Type 2 Diabetes, and heart disease, among other chronic conditions.
Some nutrition experts recommend six small meals a day, while others suggest two large meals daily. It's your choice, based on your own research, opinions, and judgements, but the following information can help you determine what to eat to enjoy better health and good tasting, fast meals.
Healthier Chicken Nuggets
A 30-Minute Heart Healthy Meal for Kids
Hot' N Healthy Chicken Nuggets: The finished recipe serves 4 people with about 4 to 6 ounces of chicken in each serving. The standard meat serving recommended in America by nutritionists is 4 ounces, so this may provide diners with a bit more.
If you enjoy dipping sauces with your nuggets, try yogurt-based dips or make your own with some non-fat sour cream and your favorite spices. Try malt vinegar as well.
Healthier Meals for Kids and You
- A clean and sanitized cutting board
- A small, sharp kitchen knife
- A set of measuring cups
- A set of measuring spoons
- A 1-gallon size ZipLoc bag
- A rolling pin
- One small cooking pot
- One medium size bowl
- One large mixing spoon
- One roll of paper towels
- A clean baking sheet
- Some oven mitts and a pair of kitchen tongs
- 2 cups of herb seasoned bread crumbs or stuffing mix (crush it up)
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbsp low-fat margarine
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- A dash of hot sauce
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or 1 pound of chunked chicken meat.
Instructions For Chicken Nuggets
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Measure the bread crumbs or stuffing mix into the ZipLoc. Seal it and place it on a flat surface. If needed, crunch to smaller crumbs by rolling the rolling pin over it.
3. Open ZipLoc and add cheese. Reseal bag and shake.
4. Melt margarine on cook top over LOW heat, Don't scorch it.
5. Put melted margarine, buttermilk, hot sauce, and pepper in the bowl and mix with spoon.
6. Rinse all the chicken breasts and pat them dry with a couple of paper towels. You can use a clean kitchen towel, but don't let it touch anything else and wash it immediately after food prep in order to prevent salmonella spreading.
7. Lay the chicken breasts on the cutting board and chunk it into bite-sized nuggets.
8. Dip chicken chunks into buttermilk mixture and lay 3 - 5 dipped chunks at a time into the ZipLoc. Seal the bag tightly and shake until the chicken chunks are evenly coated with seasoned crumbs.
9. Lay fully coated nuggets on a non-greased baking sheet. Repeat with more chicken chunks until all are on the pan.
10. Set baking sheet into the oven in the center of the baking rack. Bake nuggets 3-5 minutes until golden brown.
11. Using oven mitts, remove the baking sheet from the oven. With the tongs, turn over each nugget.
12. Set the baking sheet back in the oven for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown.
13. With oven mitts, remove the baking sheet from the oven for the final time. Using the tongs take the nuggets and arrange them on a platter.
Serve nuggets immediately with a bowl of yogurt-based dipping sauce and a platter of carrot and celery sticks and cold 2% milk.
With the healthier chicken nuggets you will make with the recipe below, serve celery and carrot sticks with a nutritious yogurt dip or just plain yogurt. When you have a chance, visit the Celery Museum in Michigan and the Carrot Museum.
Visit the Celery Museum
- Celery Flats Interpretive and Historical Center, Portage | Roadtrippers
Celery Flats Interpretive and Historical Center is a Park & Garden in Portage. Plan your road trip to Celery Flats Interpretive and Historical Center in Portage. Celery is a large food crop in the state of Michigan. Celery Flats offers historical
Celery Flats, Portage MI
Tangy Fruit for Dessert
Pineapple Coconut Bowl
For a healthier-than-candy-and-cakes dessert, open a 15 ounce can of unsweetened pineapple chunks or use a lite-syrup brand. Drain the juice from the can and save it for blender drinks in the near future. Next:
- Divide the pineapple chunks into 4 dessert bowls.
- Sprinkle a little powdered ginger and nutmeg on the top of the pineapple in each bowl.
- Sprinkle with shredded coconut.
- Place a small amount of pickled ginger in the center of the coconut.
- Garnish with a mint leaf.
This is fast - less than 10 minutes!
For a more extensive dessert, spoon some vanilla or lemon yoghurt around the pineapple. If you want to splurge, use vanilla or lemon ice cream.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2007 Patty Inglish MS