- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes»
- Quick & Easy Dinners
Quick and Easy Apple Chicken Drumsticks
I love cooking with drumsticks. They always remain moist when you cook with them (and never seem to get too dry, unless you REALLY overcook it). They are also a very affordable cut of chicken at the grocery store if you enjoy eating chicken but perhaps cannot always buy chicken breast all the time. Chicken drumsticks are also so easy to make. You can toss any sort of flavors with it while cooking, and it will generally just absorb most of it without too much prep work required in advance.
I also love pairing apples with meats. Not only does it add an additional component of fruit to your meal, it just adds SO much extra flavor for one little fruit. Apple goes great with all sorts of meats including pork chops and chicken, so when I saw that I had drumsticks available in the fridge, as well as apples, I decided to make this quick and easy meal!
- 7 - 8 Chicken Drumsticks, (or chicken thighs instead)
- 2 cloves Garlic, chopped
- 2 Apples, chopped in chunks
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup, or honey
- 3 Tablespoons Soya Sauce
- Black Pepper
- Side Vegetable, (e.g: broccoli)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees celsius.
- While oven is preheating, mix together garlic, olive oil, maple syrup, soya sauce in a bowl.
- Lay chicken in an oven-safe casserole dish. Grind some pepper onto the chicken.
- Throw apple slices throughout the pan, all around the chicken.
- Using a spoon, spoon sauce from the bowl (in step 1) over each piece of drumstick.
- Once the oven is preheated, place chicken in the oven for 35 minutes. Ensure the juices run clear when you remove the chicken from the oven. Serve with some rice, noodles, or side of potatoes along with some vegetables and enjoy!
Chicken Drumstick Meal Ingredients
As you can see from my ingredients list, the number of ingredients are limited but packed full of flavor. You can also take the time that the chicken is cooking in the oven to prepare your sides (whether it be rice or noodles or potatoes) as well as a side of vegetables. The meal will go great, really, with any sides.
You'll notice in the recipe that I have included a few additional options to choose from in the ingredients list, depending on what you might have available:
- Chicken Drumsticks or Chicken Thighs - As I mentioned at the beginning of my post, I love chicken drumsticks. I ALSO love chicken thighs as, similar to drumsticks, they also retain their flavor and keep so moist during the cooking process. Perhaps it is the skin on the chicken that keeps the moisture in the chicken altogether along with the bone that adds the additional flavor (but I can't guarantee you on that explanation. It just makes logical sense to me :) This recipe can easily swap between the two types of meats and taste just as good since both cuts of chicken come from close parts of the chicken and still have their skin attached when you purchase it.
- Maple syrup or honey - Although apples are sweet, this just adds another layer to the actual sauce as part of the chicken meal to enhance the sweet flavors in the recipe. Both maple syrup and honey provide that additional sweet kick to the sauce.
- Apples - You may ask what type of apple should be used in this meal. Honestly, I don't think there is any type of apple that you CAN'T use. I used a russet type but I think in the end, as the apple is cooked through and becomes incredibly soft, it is difficult to taste the difference in apple types at the end of the day. So, use whatever apples you may have available in your fridge for this dish as it will not deter from the flavor of the chicken. After you take this dish out of the oven, the apples have become nice and soft and complement the chicken perfectly. They taste almost like an apple dessert dish, only this is the savory type.
Hope you enjoyed this meal!