- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Chocolate Desserts
Quick and Easy Chocolate Chip Cake
If you’re anything like me, you will be aware of the irony of both having a sweet tooth and being aware of the damage that excessive amounts of sugar can do to the body. It is just so unfair!
It doesn’t help matters that I’m also a keen baker, which is a pretty recent development that has led to the desire to experiment with different recipes. Willpower be damned! A benefit that I can get from baking my own sweet treats instead of opting for the shop-bought variety is that I can control the amount of sugar that goes into any muffin, cake or pie.
Not only will I be able to reduce the amount of sugar, but I can also make smaller portions so that temptation and gluttony do not become a problem.
If you’re a chocolate fan and do not mind a little bit of indulgence, try taking a stroll to your kitchen to try my easy chocolate chip cake recipe when you have a craving for something sweet, instead of sprinting to the shop. If you don’t mind sugar, then you can increase the amount to suit your taste.
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable or sunflower oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Pinch salt
- 1 tsp butter, for greasing
- Grease and lightly flour a small loaf tin and pre-heat the oven to 350⁰F
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together the eggs and sugar until it thickens and takes on a uniform colour and consistency, which shows that it is well blended.
- Slowly add the oil, beating it into the mixture as you pour the oil until it is completely amalgamated.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the mixture and fold in until it is smooth.
- Follow this by gradually adding the milk and mixing it in until well combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Pour batter into the loaf tin and place in the oven for around half an hour or until the cake rises. Test it is done by skewering the centre with a toothpick; if it comes out clean, it is done.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool for approximately 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack and leave to cool to room temperature.