Quick Shrimp Scampi Recipe
I've reduced the amount of oil and butter used in many shrimp scampi recipes to try to make this a little bit healthier. Of course, it's still what I consider an "indulgent" meal, but every little bit helps when it comes to healthy eating. (We all deserve a treat once in a while!)
1/4 cup olive oil1/2 cup diced onion6 cloves of garlic, crushed1 cup of dry white wine (e.g., Sauvignon Blanc)1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning1 pinch crushed red pepper (optional)1 Tbsp. capersJuice of one lemon4 Tbsp. butter1 lb. precooked frozen shrimp, thawedSalt and pepperGrated Parmesan cheese (if desired)
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet
- Sauté garlic and onions over high heat till onions start to turn clear
- Add the wine, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, capers, and lemon juice, lower heat to medium, and reduce for about five minutes. The sauce will thicken up.
- Add butter and stir until it is melted into the sauce.
- Add shrimp and turn heat to medium-low. Heat through
- Salt and pepper to taste. Top with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Personally, I like to serve the shrimp scampi over angel hair pasta, but it's also great with orzo, rice, or even cous cous. You can also top it with a bit of chopped flat-leaf parsley to add extra color and a little more flavor. This recipe would be wonderful served with a slightly oaky Chardonnay, or even a bright, crisp Sauvignon Blanc. Just add a tossed green salad and crusty bread and you have a simple, yet elegant meal!