Raisin, Walnut Applesauce Cake
Raisin, Walnut, Applesauce Cake
It's called a cake but it's baked in bread pans. I have been making this cake/bread for about 35 years now. I know applesauce cake or bread is pretty common but I have been making this one with home made applesauce. But bought applesauce is perfectly good too.
There's not much to write about it; but it's easy to make and it's good for breakfast, an afternoon break or with coffee in the evening. With the applesauce, raisins and nuts, there are actually a lot of nutrients that are good for you and for the kids. Hope you enjoy it.
Home Made Applesauce
To make your own applesauce you simply peel and slice a large bag of apples and put in a large saucepan with a cup of apple juice, 4 tablespoons of honey and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Bring to a boil, cover and let it cook until the apples are soft.
Let it cool about 15 minutes then use an immersion blender on it or put it in your blender, half a batch at a time and blend leaving it just a little lumpy. Store in the refrigerator. It lasts for a long time. It's delicious and you know what's in it because you made it yourself.
Photos of Raisin, Walnut Applesauce Cake
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups applesauce
- 3/4 cup Confectioners sugar
- 1-3 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 loaf pans with non-stick baking spray.
- Sift together the dry ingredients. Add raisins, nut. melted butter and applesauce.
- Beat until well blended.
- Pour into greased loaf pans. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean.
- FOR THE GLAZE: Put about 3/4 cup of 10X (Confectioners) sugar in a small bowl and add milk a teaspoon at a time and mix. Add enough milk until desired consistency. Drizzle over cooled cakes. Let it dry before wrapping them in aluminum foil to save.