Ramen as a Real Meal
Ramen as a Staple Food
We have enjoyed the information and the recipes in the Hub, Ramen Noodle Miracles. One of the things we have seen is that ramen is a staple food in many Asian countries and became a snack food or a college quick meal in the United States. With a little ingenuity and a few ingredients we may already have at home in the kitchen, we can make a full meal with ramen noodles as a base.
The following recipes are all dishes that my friends and I have tried and many of us have enjoyed them. We hope that you do as well.
As an interesting aside, the young son of one of my friends entered a food drive contest to help the local food banks. A prize was awarded, based on number of individual food items were collected. The child and his dad collected ramen noodle packs from everyone they knew and won the contest!
- 1 Package of ramen noodles, cooked with seasoning, then drained
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 Small zuchini, sliced
- 1 Small yellow squash, sliced
- 1/4 C onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp chopped parsly
- 1 tsp salt and pepper combo
- While ramen boils, saute squash in butter for 2-4 minutes until tender-crisp.
- Drain ramen and pour the noodles over the vegetables in the pot.
- Sprinkle your salt and pepper and mix briefly.
- Serve with onions and parsley on top.
Pepper Pork Bowl
- Pork flavored ramen; you will beusing th eflavoring packet
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup frozen vegetables - peas and broccoli cuts
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- ¼ cup broken cashews or peanuts
- Water (I use spring water)
- Pickled peppers
- Break the egg into deep bowl, without breaking the yolk, and pour water to fill the bowl halfway.
- Place the ramen noodles on top of the egg and sprinkle the seasoning packet evenly over the top.
- Add the frozen vegetables, nuts, and chopped cabbage.
- Next, add more water to barely cover the ingredients and cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Heat in the microwave on high, 5 minutes. The egg should be soft boiled.
- Garnish with additional cabbage and the peppers.
Noodles and Franks
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 2 packages of ramen noodles, brick or cup
- 2 frankfurters
- 2 tomato sauce cans of water
- Garlic Salt
- Hot Sauce
- Heat tomato sauce and water over medium heat.
- Let mixture come to the boil and reduce to simmer.
- Cut hot dogs into bite-size pieces and add to the pot.
- Bring to a full boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the noodles and seasoning packets.
- Add garlic salt to taste.
- Cook until the noodles are done and serve with hot sauce.
Corn & Broccoli Chowder
- 1 pack "Creamy Chicken" ramen noodles
- 1 Can of cream style corn
- 1 Individual package frozen Broccoli & Cheese
- Pepper to taste
- Garlic or garlic salt to taste
- Boil ramen in 2 cups hot water, but do not drain.
- Mix the seasoning packet into the soup.
- Add the corn, and defrosted Broccoli and Cheese.
- Season with pepper and garlic to taste.
Ramen Side Dish
Cole Slaw Noodles
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 16-oz bag of cole slaw mix
- 2 bunches of green onions, chopped with 1/3 of the green tails added
- 1 cup sliced almonds, 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 packages of chicken flavored ramen noodles broken apart ( keep the seasoning packets for this dish)
- Mix all dressing ingredients and let them sit together on the counter overnight in a covered container, at room temperature.
- Mix salad ingredients when ready to serve the following day, add dressing, and toss.
- Let sit in or out of refrigerator another couple of hours if you like, to let flavors blend.
Ramen Noodles As a Dessert
Caramel Ramen Break Up
- One pack of ramen noodles - use the flavoring spices for something else
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- ¼ Cup broken nuts - raw peanuts, almonds, pecans, or English walnuts
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat the over to 300 degrees F.
- Mix the butter, brown sugar and honey and heat over medium heat until bubbles begin to appear, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Break up a pack of ramen noodles and mix into the caramel sauce. Mix to coat.
- Spray a baking sheet very well with cooking spray.
- Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet and place in oven for 4 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set the pan into the refrigerator or freezer to cool and set.