Bear N Mom Recipes - Blueberry Pie
When I was a child, I remember going into the woods above our house and picking berries with my best friend. Her aunt would make them into pies. Grace and I spent many a happy afternoon, pricking our fingers on berry thorns and filling little buckets with different berries.
I love pie more than any other dessert. I was saving the Pumpkin Pie Recipe for Thanksgiving but I found this recipe for Blueberry Pie in the recipe box when I was looking for the other recipe.
I don't care for berry pies of any kind myself but Blueberry Pie was my second son's favorite pie. I normally only made it for his birthday when he was a teenager and maybe for family picnics in the summer. Now I hardly ever make it because he is married with children of his own. He now satisfies his blueberry craving with blueberry muffins.
- 1 quart blueberries
- 1 cup sugar
- flour to cover berries
- 2 pie shells
- Wash and drain the berries.
- Sift flour over the berries to coat each berry.
- Stir in the sugar to berries and mix thoroughly.
- Load berries into the bottom shell in a pie pan. Cover with the second shell and crimp the edges. Slit top crust to let berry juice to seep out.
- Bake in a 450 degree oven for 15 minutes. Turn down heat to 425 degrees and continue baking an additional 30 minutes.
The important part of this pie is to make sure that the flour coats the berries or else you will have a runny pie filling.
I like to coat my upper crusts with egg whites and sprinkle sugar on them so that the shell turns a golden brown while baking but this is optional.