- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Recipe for Leftover Ham: Cheesy Ham & Broccoli Casserole
Have you cooked a ham lately? While many people think of baked ham as being something to reserve for holidays and other special occasions, this main dish meat is actually a great choice any time of year. After all ham is tasty and is often a great bargain at the supermarket.
It's a fact that if you're looking for a budget-friendly meal idea, preparing a ham can be a terrific choice. If you watch for sales, you can often find hams for less than $2.00 per pound, which is one of the most affordable main dish options you'll be able to find.
Consider purchasing a ham that is a bit larger than your family will eat so that you can enjoy leftover ham sandwiches and tasty leftover recipes for a few days. This versatile meat works very well in many great dishes that are both delicious and easy to prepare, including this delicious Cheesy Ham & Broccoli Casserole recipe.
Recipe Idea for Leftover Ham: Cheesy Ham & Broccoli Casserole
- 1 10 ounce package of frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 small yellow or red onion
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 2 cups of milk
- ¼ cup of water
- 6 ounces of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups of diced cooked ham
- 1 ½ cups of seasoned stuffing mix (for example, Stove Top or Pepperidge Farms)
- Follow the instructions on the broccoli package for cooking the vegetable. Drain after cooking
- Peel and dice the onion.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, then sauté the diced onions in the butter.
- Add the flour to the saucepan, stirring until it is blended in and smooth.
- Add the milk and water slowly, and then turn the temperature to high.
- Bring the mixture to a boil; then reduce the temperature to low.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. When the sauce is thickened, add the cheese and continue stirring until the cheese is melted.
- Remove sauce mixture from the heat.
- Add the drained broccoli to the cheese sauce and stir.
- Add ham to the sauce mixture and stir.
- Add the stuffing mix to the sauce, meat, and veggie mixture, stirring well to make sure all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Spray a 10 X 13 casserole dish with Pam or your favorite brand of nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the casserole mixture into the casserole dish and bake for 30 – 35 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.