Recipe for a delicious chicken cacciatore
A simple way for preparing a delicious dish of chicken cacciatore.
· 5 oregano sprigs
· 1 large onion, chopped
· 3 garlic cloves, chopped
· 40ml olive oil
· 1 celery stalk, chopped
· 150g pancetta or bacon that is chopped
· 125g button mushrooms, sliced in thick sizes
· 1 bay leaf
· 250ml chicken stock
· 9 chicken pieces, drumsticks and thighs
· 6ml sugar
· 100ml dry white wine
· 800g of chopped tomatoes
1. Put half of the oil in a large saucepan and heat it. Add the onion, garlic, bacon and celery and cook while stirring occasionally over a low heat for 7-8 minutes, or cook till the onion is soft and golden.
2. Add the mushrooms to the pan, increase the heat and stir for 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
3. Put the remaining oil to a saucepan and cook the chicken on both sides till they turn brown. Spoon out the excess fat.
4. Add wine to the chicken in the saucepan, increase the heat and cook until all the liquid has almost evaporated.
5. Add the tomatoes, sugar, chicken stock and herbs. Bring to boil and return the reserved bacon and the mushroom mixture.
6. Cover the saucepan with its lid, decrease the amount of heat and leave to simmer for 25 minutes, or until the chicken is tender but not falling from the bone.
7. Garnish with fresh herbs and serve with rice or any other preferred dish.