- Food and Cooking»
- Dietary Restrictions»
- Dietary Restrictions for Health
Chicken, rice and greens -recipe for my diabetic dog
Here is a recipe that I prepare for my family's diabetic dog, Carmen. In this recipe, I made enough to last about 1 week.
- chicken thighs
- brown rice
- greens (chopped spinach, collards, kale)
- Prepare chicken thighs by washing and soaking for 15-20 minutes in salt water.
- Place 4-6 cups of water in pot and bring to boil.
- Rinse chicken again and add to water. Cook on medium heat for 30 minutes or until done.
- Follow instructions on rice package: bring water to boil and add rice, stirring occasionally. For this recipe, I used 1 bag of rice. For every 2 chicken thighs, 1/2 bag should be fine.
- Cook frozen greens according to package. If using fresh greens, cook on medium to high heat for 1 hour. For this recipe, I used fresh greens. Drain water from greens, add more water and cook on medium heat for an additional hour.
- Let everything cool for about 20-30 minutes. Cut chicken into small to medium sized pieces, removing all skin.
- Add rice to half of an air-tight freezer-safe container. Add one layer of each: chicken and greens. Add rice to fill container and mix well.
- Place in refrigerator if currently using. Place in freezer if not using for a few days.
Add 1-2 heaping mixing spoonfuls of the rice mixture with 1 cup of dry dog food. I add a little warm water to it and stir. Carmen likes ice cubes in her water!
Each container lasts for about 3 days. I normally make enough to last about 2 weeks at a time. The ingredients can be increased according to how many containers you wish to fill and how long you wish to freeze the food.
Any leftovers (extra rice, greens or chicken) can be placed in an air-tight container to freeze and can be used when adding additional ingredients.
Ground turkey can be used instead of chicken.