- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
This recipe was originally one of my neighbor's who shared it with me. These cookies have a cake consistency and the icing determines the flavor that you get from them.
These were a favorite of mine for Halloween and I made them every year around that holiday.
I recently purchased individually wrapped pumpkin cookies from the Apple Cookie and Chocolate Company. Since I purchased them and the packages were sealed, it was perfectly safe to give these away for Halloween.
Pumpkin cookies are quick and easy to make. They lend a spicy taste to your cookie tray. Children love them whether you serve them plain or with icing. You can make the icing fun by adding orange food coloring or adding orange flavoring and bits of orange zest to the icing.
Adding maple flavoring gives this cookie a totally different flavor and appeal to those who crave spice in their cookies. The original icing was vanilla but I like to play with this recipe to bring out different tastes.
- 3/4 cup margarine or butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup pumpkin filling, from can
- 2-1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspon clove
- 1/2 cup walnuts, optional
- Cream together shortening and both sugars.
- Add egg then pumpkin and blend.
- Mix in dry ingredients including spices.
- Mix in the nuts. (optional)
- Drop by teaspoonful on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in 375° oven about 10-12 minutes or until brown on bottom. May be eaten iced or plain.
2 cups confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon butter room temp.
orange flavoring and food coloring (optional)
Cream confectioners sugar and butter.
Add flavoring and food coloring and blend until creamy texture.
Spread over cooled cookies.