- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Bear N Mom Recipes - Cookies - Swedish Bread
This recipe has been made for over 50 years in my extended next door family I tried it several times when my children were growing up and was never sure if I was doing it right because the original recipe I got was very vague on instructions.
I found a similar recipe in my Nunny's treasure trove of recipes and I recognized it immediately and only then did I know I was making them correctly.
These cookies are a shortbread kind of dough with jam or jelly down the middle. Because there is no limit of what jelly you can use you can make several kinds. I prefer to use the new just fruit brands that you can get from the supermarkets which are all fruit. I've made strawberry and apricot mostly.
- 2 cups Flour
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Double Acting Baking Powder
- 2/3 cup Soft Margarine
- 2 Eggs, unbeaten
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla, Can use Almond
- Mix all of the above ingredients into a soft dough. Divide into 3 logs. Make a groove down the middle of each log with the back of an iced tea spoon. Spoon jams into the 3 grooves.
- Bake at 350° for about 30 minutes. Cookies will flatten out and look like you did something wrong while baking.
- Once the logs have cooled, slice each log into 1" strips. These are kind of like Kuchen but with shortbread instead of a formed cookies.