- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Recipes for the Non-Cook
Rate These Recipes
Quick, Easy and Healthy Meal Ideas
I know a lot of people that can't cook and have no interest in learning how so, instead of watching them choke down McDonalds and other barely food fast foods, I decided to give them some recipes that were fool-proof, simple and quick as well as being delicious and healthy.
Roasted Mixed Grill
This recipe is absolutely, one hundred perfect fool-proof, I promise you. Short of setting the kitchen on fire and burning your home to the ground, there is no way you can fail to make a healthy and delicious dish that is incredibly satisfying. You can use just a few ingredients or many, anything goes with a recipe this strong and this flexible. Easy to make, it offers a busy person or just someone that doesn't enjoy cooking very much, a fast and simple way to eat healthy and extremely cheaply.
A Great Use For Leftovers
Just like my calzone recipe, this mixed grill recipe is a perfect use for left overs from other meals. Just about anything works in this dish. Got spare cauliflower from making cauliflower mashed potatoes? Great, throw that in there too. On that note, cauliflower mashed potatoes is a fantastic accompaniment to this meal, give it a try.
Kids Love This Recipe
Find it hard to get your children to eat vegetables? Not any more. Whether you put these foil baked vegetables with mashed cauliflower or with baked beans, your kids will eat up every last vegetable on the plate. You can also add macaroni and cheese as a special reward for them eating well.
- Carrot, (rainbow carrots adds a blast of color to the plate)
- Lemon juice
- Pepper (black)
- McCormick Grill Mates Mesquite spice
- Beans (optional)
Vegetables and Beans
How to Make Potatoes and Mixed vegetables
- Cut the potatoes into bite sized slices of cubes. If you use baby potatoes you can just cut them in half and they make the perfect mouthful.
- Cut up the rest of your vegetables into roughly the same physical size as your potatoes. This is to ensure that all of your ingredients cook at the same rate, otherwise some will be over-cooked and mushy while others are cooked perfectly.
- Mix all of the chopped vegetables together in a bowl.
- Douse them with lemon juice and sprinkle on a little salt, pepper and a good amount of the Mccormicks Grill Mates Mesquite spice. Stir until all the vegetables have a covering of the spice mix. Note: you can also use butter or oil (e.g. coconut oil) instead of the lemon juice if you prefer.
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200C).
- Wrap the vegetables into a sheet of aluminum foil, forming a bag that will keep the vegetables steaming juices inside.
- Put the bag into the oven and cook for 35-40 minutes.
- Serve the vegetables on a plate with either mashed cauliflower or beans. Don't forget to sprinkle the cooked vegetables with a little fresh lemon juice to help sharpen their flavors.
Onion Steak Recipe
I live on a boat and all live aboards (that's what they call people that live on boats) obey a cardinal rule, NO WASTE. Because getting supplies aboard is so difficult and time consuming, we value every morsel of food and make use of everything. left overs are re-cycled into other meals. That's how this onion steak recipe came about. I had a few things left in my galley (that's what they call a kitchen on a boat) and I was hungry. This meal is extremely simple to make, is cheap, healthy and is packed full of flavor.
Onion, tomato, cucumber, radish, lemon juice, salami (optional)
- Dice up the cucumber and radish and marinate the pieces in a little lemon juice with salt and pepper. I like to add paprika (but then I like paprika on everything).
- Cut a round of onion about as thick as your finger and pan fry it in either a non-stick pan or in a regular pan with a little cutter or oil. Cook the onion until it has some color and flip it to cook on the other side too. Don't cook it too long because you want some firmness and some crispness when you bite into it.
- When the onion is done, top it off with a slice of tomato, some slices of salami and the diced radish and cucumber.
- Eat, enjoy.
Although I first made this dish because I needed to use some random ingredients I had left over, I liked it so much that I have made it many times since. I add cheese over the top of the onion slice and, when it melts, it keeps the rings together when you cut it. Also try adding some cilantro or green onions.
Bean & Potato Wrap
Bean and Potato Burrito
This recipe as wonderful and can literally be made in 15 minutes. With less than 5 ingredients it delivers a staggering amount of taste that will keep you coming back for more.
Ingredients: Baked beans, French fries (chips) and wrap.
Notes: Instead of pre-packaged french fries you can also use tater tots or even hash browns. You can even make your own spiced potatoes if you want. just dice a potato, douse liberally with lemon juice, throw on some garlic, salt, pepper, turmeric and a tiny amount of chili powder and you will have an amazing tasting meal.
1. Preheat the oven and cook the french fries according to the instructions on the pack. This is usually about 15 minutes.
2. While the fries are baking in the oven, start cooking the beans. The longer you let them simmer, the better they will taste because they need a while to get their canned taste out of them.
Note: You can use baked beans, chili or there are some great 'Mexican' options such as black beans and jalapenos in one can so don't be afraid to experiment.
3. Heat your tortilla and melt some cheese on it if you like. Melted cheese also helps keep the wrap closed. You can use a tortilla or nan bread or lavash bread, anything you prefer.
4. Put the beans and fries on the wrap, roll it up and enter the heavenly gates of taste bliss.
You can further enhance the flavor by adding a salty cheese and or some sour cream.
Mushroom and Salad Wrap
Mushroom & Salad Wrap Recipe
Ingredients: Mushrooms (portabello), onion, cilantro, tomato,cucumber, bellpepper, tortilla (or nan bread or pita bread or whatever)
Instructions: Pan fry the mushrooms in a non-stick pan or a normal pan with some butter or oil. You want to do this over a relatively high heat, just before the smoke point of the butter or oil if you are using one of those. Do NOT put a lid over the fry pan or skillet while cooking or you will steam the mushrooms into a mushy consistency instead of something toothsome and hardy.
While the mushrooms are browning, slice up some onion, bell peppers and cucumbers. Foods in wraps are easier to eat if they are in long strips so keep that in mind when you are cutting up the ingredients.
Cut the tomato into wedges.
Dice up the cilantro.
Once the mushrooms are golden brown, mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl, salt them and add pepper to taste.
Wrap them in the tortilla
Adding Extra Taste
I like to add hummus or tahini sauce or even tzatziki sauce. Sriracha is also an excellent choice for those that like things a little spicy. If you REALLY want to add some incredible flavor to this meal, add some kimchi. You can get it at most grocery stores pre-made and ready to love. It's a pickled cabbage dish that is captivating in it's deliciousness.
© 2014 Dale Anderson