A Yummy Grilled Sandwich
This is a delicious grilled sandwich. It is typically made on rye bread (I prefer seedless). Reubens include yummy corned beef, swiss cheese, saurkraut, and tangy Thousand Island Dressing (see my homemade recipe) or Russian Dressing. The true origin of this amazing sandwich is unknown. My family loves Reuben sandwiched and I make these often.
- 1 lb corned beef, shredded or chopped
- 32 oz saurkraut, (canned or refrigerated -- drained well)
- 3 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 loaf rye bread, (seedless)
- 1 bottle (or batch if you use my recipe) thousand island dressing
- Combine all ingredients except the bread and the dressing in a crock pot. Mix it together well.
- Cover the crock pot and heat on high for 1 to 2 hours or until it is all thoroughly heated.
- Spread thousand island dressing on the rye bread, and cover with Reuben mixture. Grill the sandwich on an indoor grill or griddle. You can use a skillet too if you don't have a grill.
- This recipe can also be cut in half and served on snack rye bread and topped with thousand island dressing. Enjoy!