Ridge Gourd - Moong Dal Sambar Recipe
Ridge gourd-moong dal sambar
Ridge gourd is known as heerekai in Kannada, peerkankai in Tamil, beerkai in Telugu and turai in Hindi. It is also called as luffa in English.
Ridge gourd is a rich source of dietary fiber, Vitamin C, zinc, iron, riboflavin, magnesium, thiamine and other minerals. Low in fat, cholesterol and calories, and aids in weight loss. So, this sambar is perfect for kids, adults and elderly people.
This is very comforting dish with the goodness of lentils and ridge gourd. Goes very well with hot steamed rice and brown rice. Can also serve with roti and chapati.
- 1/2 cup split yellow moong dal or lentil, washed and soaked for 10-15 minutes
- 1-2 ridge gourd, washed, peeled stripes and chopped
- 1-2 ripe tomatoes, washed and chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- salt to taste
- 1-2 cups water, or as required
- 1/2 cup fresh coconut, grated
- 1-2 green chilies
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves
- Wash and rinse 1/2 cup of moong dal or split yellow moong lentil. Soak in water for 10-15 minutes. (Soaking fasten the cooking of lentils, but you can skip this step too).
- Wash, chop off the ends (top and bottom ends of the ridge gourd), peel the stripes of ridge gourd. No need to peel the skin. Cut into pieces. Remove seeds if any. Keep aside.
- Wash and chop 1-2 medium sized ripe tomatoes. Keep aside.
- In a pan or pot, heat 1-2 teaspoons of cooking oil. Splutter 1/2 teaspoon of mustard seeds and 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds.
- Add chopped tomatoes, saute in medium flame for 1-2 minutes.
- Add chopped ridge gourd. Give a stir till it mixes with tomatoes.
- Drain water from soaked moong dal, add this to ridge gourd-tomato mixture.
- Mix everything properly and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of water or enough to cover the vegetables and lentil, add salt to taste. Cover and cook till both lentil and ridge gourd cooked properly (or take whistles in cooker).
- Meanwhile, grate 1/2 cup of fresh coconut, transfer this to mixer jar.
- Add 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds, 1-2 green chilies, 1/4 cup of fresh coriander leaves.
- Add 1/4 cup of water or required to grind the coconut and grind to smooth paste.
- Once ridge gourd and moong dal is cooked properly, add this ground paste and mix well.
- Add more water if required to adjust the consistency of sambar. Add salt if required.
- Ridge gourd-moong dal sambar is ready to serve. Serve hot with rice, chapati or roti.
How to prepare sambar with step by step photos
Tips and suggestions
- Always choose tender and fresh ridge gourd.
- Don't make too small pieces of ridge gourd. They will be mashed up with dal.
- You can make this sambar in pressure cooker too. Add vegetables, lentils and ground paste to pressure cooker and take whistles. This saves time.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Carbohydrates 30 g||10%|
|Sugar 5 g|
|Fiber 13 g||52%|
|Protein 11 g||22%|
|Sodium 169 mg||7%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|