Roasted Aubergine Recipe
Aubergines roast well and are a satisfying vegetarian main course
- 2 large aubergines
- 2 tbsp pitted black olives, drained
- 3 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 125g buffalo mozzarella, drained and torn
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coarse ciabatta breadcrumbs
- 400g tin cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp finely grated vegetarian parmesan, or Italian hard cheese
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 100g orzo pasta
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to drizzle
- 2 tbsp green pesto
- Fresh basil leaves, to garnish
How to Cook
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6. Cut the aubergines in half lengthways, and score a crisscross pattern over the cut side of each half, taking care not to cut through to the skin. Arrange, cut-side up, on a roasting tray and drizzle with 2 tbsp of the oil. Roast for 30 mins, until tender. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of the oil in large frying pan. Add the onion and cook for 8 mins until softened. Stir in the garlic and cook for a further 2 mins. Add the cherry tomatoes and the sugar. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 mins.
- Cook the orzo to pack instructions until al dente. Drain, then toss together with the pesto and olives. When the aubergine has cooled slightly, scoop the flesh out of the middle and transfer to a board. Roughly chop and add to the tomato sauce. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Add the orzo mixture to the tomato mixture and mix everything together. Divide equally between the aubergine shells then top each with some torn mozzarella. Mix the breadcrumbs with the parmesan and the remaining olive oil, and sprinkle over the filled aubergines.
- Return to the oven and roast for 10-15 mins until the cheese is melted and the breadcrumbs golden. Finish with a drizzle of extra-virgin oil and a few basil leaves.
450 cals, 26.9g fat, 8.8g saturates 12.4g sugars, 0.74g sait