- Food and Cooking
Rosemary Pomegranate Champagne And Other Pomegranate Based Cocktails and Alcoholic Mixed Drinks
Pomegranate is one of the most overlooked ingredients in mixed drinks. The juice is sweet but has a tart aftertaste. On its own, many compare it to a non-alcoholic red wine. However, most pomegranate juice is highly sweetened when sold in bottles via retail chains, giving it a unique taste that makes it perfect for mixing.
Unfortunately, pomegranate juice can be a bit pricey and hard to find. Most large supermarkets will have a bottle or two available in their juice aisle, but customers will be hard pressed to find any in smaller stores or markets. If you're having trouble finding any, ordering online is a great option.
My absolute favorite use for pomegranate juice when mixing is as part of a champagne cocktail. Read on for specifics on the recipe.
Rosemary Pomegranate Champagne Cocktail Ingredients
- 1 Cup White Sugar, for the Rosemary Simple Syrup
- 1 Cup Water, for the Rosemary Simple Syrup
- 3 to 6 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary Leaves, for the Rosemary Simple Syrup
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Pomegranate Juice
- 4 to 6 ounces Brut Champagne or Sparkling Wine, substitute Asti for Brut for extra sweetness
Rosemary Pomegranate Champagne Instructions
- Stir together 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally until the pot boils.
- Allow the syrup to boil for one minute and then immediately take it off the heat.
- Add your rosemary leaves to the pot and allow it to steep for at least half an hour and no more than 1 hour.
- Remove the leaves and transfer the syrup to an airtight container. Refrigerate for at least four hours.
- Once your rosemary simple syrup is made, you can begin making cocktails any time you want! Fill up champagne flute or your favorite wine glass about half full with Brut champagne.
- Add two tablespoons of fresh or bottled pomegranate juice and two tablespoons of the rosemary simple syrup an stir vigorously. Make like James Bond- NO SHAKING.
- Drink. Repeat. What happened to the rest of the night?
This alluringly sweet but aromatic cocktail can be enjoyed any time of year, but it's cool taste with herb based warmth are perfect for a winter treat that will remind you of a dip pin a hot spring on a cold mountain night.
Buy Pomegranate Juice Online
Other Favorite Pomegranate Based Cocktails
A few quick favorites if you're out of champagne and still looking for some good uses for your pomegranate juice.
Sweet Pomegranate Martini
- 2 oz vodka
- 1/2 oz lime juice
- 1 oz pomegrnate juice
- lime for garnish
Shake over ice, and strain into a cocktail glass. Classy and adventurous!
- 1 1/2 oz bourbon
- 1 1/2 oz pomegranate juice
- 1 teaspoon of confectionery sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon bitters
Shake and strain into martini glass or tumblr and serve. Maybe not exactly something you'd drink on Mad Men, but a modern twist on a classic favorite nonetheless.
Any pomegranate martini tips?
Got any tips or feedback on making pomegranate martinis and mixed drinks? Leave a comment below and share the wealth!