- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Soup Recipes
Rustic Robust Tomato Soup - Quick and Easy
This is an easy tomato soup that is both rustic and healthy. It's satisfying on its own or snuggled up next to a sandwich. With a bit of a North Indian flare, it's also something a bit out of the ordinary. If you're looking for something you can prepare with wholesome, fresh vegetables and spend little time, this is your recipe.
You can serve this soup two different ways. Strain it for a silky soup. Or, I leave mine unstrained so that we get the full benefit of the vegetable pulp and a little added texture. I love it rustic. I hope you do too!
- 5 medium red ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 to 5 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1 to 2 green chillies, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1 Tbsp butter or ghee
- to taste salt
- fresh coriander leaves or parsley leaves, for garnish
- 3 cups water
- Melt your butter or ghee (clarified butter) in a fry pan. When heated on medium heat, add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle for about a minute.
- Add the garlic and the chillies and toss a few minutes until the garlic releases its full aroma.
- Add the onion and cook until it becomes translucent but not browned.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cover until they're cooked through and soft. You will need to stir occasionally.
- When the tomatoes are cooked through, pour the mixture into a blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a clean saucepan and add 3 cups of water. If you choose to strain it first to remove the pulp, do so now before adding the water. Add the cumin powder, salt and tumeric and reheat.
- Garnish, serve and enjoy!