- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Salad Recipes: Green Gram (Mung Bean) and Cucumber Salad
Some Information About Making Green Gram (Mung Bean) and Cucumber Salad
Salad can be made in many ways with different vegetables and fruits. Mung beans and cucumber salad is one of the easy salads that needs very less time to make. This salad has cooling effect on your body. This is a delicious and healthy salad. This salad is called as 'Hesaru bele Kosumbari' in our local Kannada language.
There are not many steps involved in making green gram (mung bean) and cucumber salad. You have to soak the mung beans in water for 2-3 hours. Strain and discard the water. Collect the mung beans in a mixing bowl. Add finely chopped cucumber, green chili, hing, some pomegranate seeds, salt, chopped coriander leaves, and lemon juice. Mix them well. Add tempering to it. Mix once again. Salad is ready to serve.
Normally people eat this salad in the beginning of the meal. You can also serve this salad as an in between the meals snack. Don't serve them in large quantity at a time because it is filling. Serve 2-3 table spoon salad per person.
- 1 cup mung beans or green gram, soaked in water for 3-4 hours
- 1 cup cucumber, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut, grated
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 pinches hing/asafoetida powder
- 1/4 tsp or less sugar, optional
- 1/4 tsp salt, as per taste
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp pomegranate seeds, optional
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, for the tempering
- 1/2 tsp dehusked black gram split/urad dal, for the tempering
- 8 curry leaves, for the tempering
- 1 tsp ghee or oil, for the tempering
- 1/4 tsp or less turmeric powder
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Green Gram (Mung bean) and Cucumber Salad
- Wash green gram (mung beans). Soak in fresh water for 2-3 hours. Drain the water. Collect mung beans in a mixing bowl.
- Add chopped cucumber, grated coconut, pomegranate seeds, turmeric powder, hing powder, sugar, salt, chopped coriander leaves, lemon juice, and chopped chilies. Mix well. Check for the taste. Adjust accordingly.
- Now is the time for tempering the salad. Heat ghee or oil in a small hand pan. Throw mustard seeds into it. Let them pop up. Add dehusked black lentil and curry leaves. Mix well. Saute, till the black lentil turns golden. Pour the tempering on the salad. Mix it at the time of serving.
- Green gram (mung bean) and cucumber salad is ready to serve. Eat it anytime you desire and enjoy! Store the left over salad in the refrigerator. This salad remains fresh for a day in the refrigerator.
Other Similar Recipes
- Salad Recipes: Green Gram (Mung Bean) and Pomegranate Salad
A salad is an easy and quick recipe for eating as a mini-meal or as a side dish. It is a vegan recipe containing many nutrients. The ingredients used in the salad are normally raw and healthy.