- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Sambhar is a famous South Indian dish. It is known as the most spiciest lentil soup. You can add any choice of vegetables in it and because of this factor, it is considered very healthy.
Preparation time 15 - 20 minutes
Cooking time 15 minutes
For sambhar masala
- Oil 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- Coriander seeds 1/4 tsp
- tovar dal 1/4 tsp
- Asafoedita a pinch
- Split Bengal gram ( chana dal) 1/4 tsp
- Split Black lentil ( Urad dal) 1/4 tsp
- Dry red chili 1-2
- Tuvar Dal 1/4 cup
- Drumsticks cut in 5-6 pieces
- Egg plant 1 small or 1/2 medium sized, cubed in small pieces
- potato1 small cubed in small pieces
- tomato 1/3 chopped in small pieces
- onion 1/2 cup chopped
- small piece of tamarind
- Salt as per taste.
- mustard seeds
- curry leaves 2-3
- asafoedita a pinch
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add all the ingredients required for the sambhar masala and roast them lightly.
- After 5 minutes, grind the masala. You can use little water and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker, heat 2-3 cups of water.
- Once the water gets hot, add the dal in it and pressure cook it. I put the tamarind piece in it that time, you can use it later also.
- Once the dal is done, keep it aside.
- In a separate pan, heat oil.
- Add the vegetables - potato, drum sticks, eggplant and chopped tomato in it.
- Just let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add the pressure cooked dal ( along with water ) and let it cook.
- Add salt
- You can add more water depends on the consistency you want.
- Once it starts getting boiled, switch off the gas oven ( however i check whether the vegetables are cooked or not!)
- In a separate pan, heat oil (very less) and once the oil is hot, add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoedita.
- Add it to the sambhar.
- Serve hot with rice , dosa or bread.