Sautéed Tofu with Vegetables
I love eating vegetables and tofu. They are healthy and taste great. Looking for something new to cook and enjoy for dinner I decided to combine tofu and vegetables together to create a sauté dish. Sautéed tofu with vegetables makes for a great side dish recipe. It can be enjoyed on its own as a main dish as well. It is not difficult to make this recipe and it tastes delicious. Give it a try sometime when you crave for something different for lunch or dinner. You won't regret it.
- 3 stalks scallion
- 1 small or half medium Spanish onion
- 1 medium vine tomato or beef tomato
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- small bowl snow peas
- one package (about 19 oz.) tofu - firm
- one package (about 7 oz.) enoki mushrooms
- 6 pieces small bok choy
- 5 stalks fresh dill
- roasted sesame seeds
Before cooking you have to prepare all the ingredients so all you'll need to do is place them into a skillet or sauté pan.
- Take a small Spanish onion or half of a medium Spanish onion, peel it, dice into small pieces, and move onto a plate.
- Wash three stalks of scallion, remove a small portion of the top of the scallion with the roots and slice. Move the scallion onto a plate with the onion.
- Take a medium red bell pepper and wash under running water. Cut the pepper in half, remove all the seeds, dice into small pieces, and remove onto a separate plate.
- Wash a medium vine tomato or beef tomato, and dice into small pieces. Move the tomato to the plate with the red pepper.
- Take a small bowl worth of snow peas and wash under running water. Then cut off both edges of the snow peas and slice each one in three. Remove onto a new plate plate.
- Take about 6 small bok choy and remove each leaf from the stem. Then thoroughly wash under running water to remove any dirt, sand, etc. Cut into smaller pieces and remove onto a plate with the snow peas.
- Remove firm tofu from the packaging, cut into cubes, and remove onto a plate.
- Take some fresh dill, wash under running water and cut into small pieces.
- Remove the enoki mushrooms from the packaging, cut off the bottom portion of the mushrooms and discard. I'd say at least about an inch. Then place into a bowl of water, let soak for about five minutes and then rinse under running water, separating each mushroom stem. Pat dry with a paper towel. Then cut the mushrooms into smaller pieces and separate them from each other. Place into a bowl.
Cooking Instructions - Sautéed Tofu with Vegetables
Now that you've sliced/diced all your ingredients you are ready to cook... Below you will find cooking instructions below along with relevant recipe photos. Happy cooking!
Step 1 - Cooking scallion and Spanish onion
Take a sauté pan, or a skillet if you don't have one, and place under medium heat. Add oil and let heat. Once hot add the onion and scallion and let cook for about 3 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Make sure to stir occasionally. Remove onto a plate when done.
Step 2 - Cooking bok choy and snow peas
Add oil to a skillet if skillet dry, add the bok choy and cook for about five minutes, stirring occasionally. When done remove onto another plate.
Add the snow peas to a skillet and cook for about five minutes, adding oil if necessary, and stirring occasionally. When done remove onto a plate with the bok choy.
Step 3 - Cooking tomato and red bell pepper
Add the red bell peppers and cook for about five minutes, stirring occasionally. Add oil if necessary. Then add the tomatoes, stir with the peppers and cook for a few more minutes. When done remove into a bowl.
Step 4 - Cooking tofu and adding all ingredients
Add oil to a skillet and place the tofu. Cook for about six minutes. Then add all the cooked vegetables into the skillet along with the enoki mushrooms. Sprinkle a desired amount of salt, add some roasted sesame seeds, fresh dill (washed and sliced) and mix. Let cook for about three minutes and turn off the heat.
© 2012 Lena Kovadlo