Savory Pumpkin Crème Soup
Cooking Difficulty: Medium
- 1 Medium Sugar Pumpkin, seeded and cut into 8ths
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil, or melted butter (NOT margarine)
- 2c Half & Half
- 1c Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Pepper
- 3 Tbsp Nutmeg or Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 2 tsp Rosemary, fresh or dried, finely diced or ground
- 4 Tbsp Dark Red Paprika, optional, for color
Baked pumpkin sections
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Coat pumpkin slices in olive oil(or butter, once reasonably cooled), and bake in oven for approximately 40 minutes, turning occasionally, until soft. (Cooking time may vary, depending on your oven)
- When slices are cool enough to handle; remove skin, then place cooked pumpkin flesh into blender or food processor(you may have to do half at a time, depending on the size of your appliance), and puree, adding half & half in increments, until at desired smooth texture. It's okay if there is left over half & half.
- Place puree into large sauce pot. Whisk in stock, any left over half&half, and seasonings. Cook on medium low heat -whisking frequently- until warmed to your preferred temperature. Do not boil! This is a thick soup, be careful not to scald the bottom.
If you're serving this soup for a gathering, serve in nice ramekins, with a sprig of rosemary or a few baked pumpkin seeds, and a small dollop of sour cream or plain yogurt. Alternately, you could serve in roasted mini pumpkins, for a seasonal presentation. Some examples are shown in the images below.