Savory Stuffing Topped Chicken
Turning Chicken into Comfort
Jim took chicken out for dinner and I didn't have any ideas what to do with it. Started with a search of the pantry and grabbed what was available. I love stuffing ... had a few boxes of ready-made and decided I would incorporate it into our meal. The result was pretty darn tasty, so I am sharing.
What I love about casseroles is that you can adjust to your tastes or moods. Add different vegetables, change up the soup, or make everything from scratch (which I do when I have time). A recipe is merely a guideline - not written in stone. Have fun! Do what YOU like ... make it yours!
Hope you enjoy!
- 3-4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless cooked and cubed
- 1 box stuffing mix, flavor of choice - I used chicken, but my favorite is turkey
- 1 can cream of chicken soup, any other cream soup would work well, too
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup cooking Sherry, optional, but it does add a wonderful depth of flavor!
- 1 cup green onions, with tops - sliced thin
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon tarragon, rosemary, thyme, oregano, dried
- ½ teaspoon Greek seasoning, Greek Seasoning - in practically everything!
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, chopped
- salt & pepper, to taste
- oil, to saute chicken & veg
- butter & water, for stuffing mix
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Prepare stuffing mix according to package directions. Set aside.
- Saute chicken in olive oil until lightly browned - I seasoned the chicken with some of the herbs to get the flavor. Remove from pan and add veg and cook about two minutes.
- Cube chicken.
- In a bowl add cream soup, sour cream, seasonings, chicken, and veg - mix well.
- Pour contents of bowl into a lightly greased (this is why I love spray oil!) casserole.
- Evenly top with stuffing.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.