- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Sea Foam Candies
Sea foam is an incredibly sweet and delicious candy made from egg whites and a hot syrup. Similar to a divinity candy, sea foam is not as light, is a bit harder, and because of the light brown sugar, has a bit of a caramel flavor. These candies are great for anytime of the year.
This candy is extremely adaptable. Once the egg white mix has cooled in the mixer after beating, stir in chopped pecans, walnuts, or even pistachios. Or, make it colorful and stir in chopped candied fruits like cherries or colored citron for the holidays.
- 1 3/4 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, pure
- Combine the light brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt, corn syrup, and the water in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved, and wash down the sides with a clean pastry brush dipped in a bit of water.
- Bring to a boil and cook, without stirring any more, until the temperature of the syrup reaches 260 degrees F.
- While the sugar is cooking, beat the egg whites until they are stiff peaked. Time the sugar and whites so that they are finished at the same time.
- Remove the sugar from the heating element and dip the bottom in a large basin of cool water to stop the cooking. Pour the hot syrup into the beaten egg whites, pouring it in a steady, thin stream.
- Add in the vanilla extract and continue beating until the mixture is cooled, and slowly started to lose some of its shiny gloss.
- Remove the beaters and immedieately drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper. If the tops are swirled or have a point, then they will set up that way when finished.