- Food and Cooking
Seasonal Recipes: Cream Cheese and Onion Dip with Fresh Chives
Living Better with Seasonal Bounties
One of the first greens to pop up in the forest after the winter's thaw is chives. Chives look like blades of long, skinny, tubular grass that smell mildly of onion when broken or picked.
Harvest your own or grab some from your local farm fresh market during their peak season of March through April. Wash in cold water and snip into small, edible pieces. Add some cheese, cream, onion, and cook it all down to make a quick and delicious dip featuring spring's fresh harvests!
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream or ranch dressing
- 1/4 cup yellow or red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp fresh chives, snipped into small pieces
- pinch onion powder, to taste (optional)
- pinch garlic powder, to taste (optional)
- In a saucepan, gently heat all ingredients until desired consistency is reached, stirring constantly.
- Taking care not to scorch or burn the mixture, let cook for a few minutes over very low heat, stirring constantly.
- Serve immediately.
Make It, then Rate It!
Serve with tortilla chips, crisps, or a hearty loaf of bread. Your guests will be raving about your homemade dip while you can brag about your seasonal plant savvy. Enjoy!