- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines
Sesame Ginger Noodles with Cashews
I love how some of the flavors of Southeast Asia simply pop - the warmth of sesame oil, the bite of ginger, the crunch of cashew and the heat of chili flakes. Some of my all time favorite flavors come together in this quick and easy dish, and the best part is that the dish goes together in moments. Even better? It's just as good stashed in the fridge and chilled as it is hot.
This particular dish calls for soba noodles. Soba noodles are thin Japanese noodles made from buckwheat flour. If you can't find them, and I often can't in my little town, then feel free to use whole wheat spaghetti. That's what I almost always end up using. The shape, texture and flavor is similar enough to make a great substitution. If you can find them though - give them a try. They're delicious and pretty high up the nutritional scale.
The only 'required' ingredients for this dish are the ginger, garlic and sesame oil. Everything else can be changed as you wish - swap out other vegetables you may have. Juienned snow peas are great, as is fresh green, red or Napa cabbage. All of the veggies work raw, or briefly steamed or stir fried. Feel free to change the cashews for peanuts if you'd like. Swap the cilantro for fresh parsley if you prefer, and as always, add or subtract the chili flakes to suit your preferences. Easy peasy, quick, simple and delicious - Bombshell baby!
- 1 16 ounce package soba noodles or whole wheat spaghetti
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 clove garlic, very finely minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 green onions, including green tops, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, seeds removed, julienned
- 2 radishes, julienned
- 1/2 carrot, julienned
- 1/4 cup cashews, chopped
- Heat large saucepot of salted water to boiling over high heat; add noodles and cook as label directs.
- While the noodles cook, in a medium mixing bowl, whisk together peanut butter, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, red pepper and water. Set aside.
- When noodles have cooked, drain them, and rinse them well under cold water.
- Place noodles in a large serving bowl. Add vegetable and sauce, tossing well before serving. Top with cashews.
- The Thrillbilly Gourmet
Combining classic technique with everyday food for spectacular results!