Shearers Mince and Potato Hotpot
Rate this Hotpot
This hotpot can be made with lamb mince too. Serve with vegetables or just some warm crusty bread.
- 500g Minced beef
- Potatoes, Sliced
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 1 Oxo cube
- 1tbls Tomato Puree
- 1stp Worcestershire Sauce
- 475ml Milk
- 125g Hard Cheese (Cheddar), Grated
- 25g Butter
- 1tbls Cornflour
- Pour a bit of oil into a pan and cook the chopped onions until soft.
- Add mince, tomato puree and oxo cube crumbled, cook until browned, season with salt and pepper
- While the mince is cooking, put a smear some butter on the bottom of a dish and line it with half of the sliced potatoes. A lasagna dish is the about right sort of dish
- Make the cheese sauce, pour the milk into a microwaveable jug, add butter and cornflour, mix well, pop into the microwave for about 3 minutes, check after about 1.5 minutes and stir, keep an eye on it and when thick take out of the microwave and stir in the cheese. You can make the cheese sauce in the usual way on the hop, but this way you do get no lumps at all.
- Pour the mince mixture onto the potatoes and spread over, then pour on the cheese sauce mixture and spread over the mince, layer the top with remainder of potatoes, Season with salt and pepper, and drizzle a bit of olive oil over the top
- Pop in the oven at 180c for about 40 minutes
Lamb mince with a few peas is tasty too.
I don't peel the potatoes, but you can if you like, and slice the potatoes thinly, if too thick the hotpot will take longer to cook
My son loves this, especially, when he comes in after playing golf and is hungry.