Shepard's Pie Recipe-A Recipe for Ground Beef
Shepard's Pie Recipe
I had never tried Shepard’s Pie until a friend of mine kept raving about it. So, I looked up Shepard’s Pie Recipes online and found one I thought I’d try. I changed it up a little bit to match my vegetable preferences and tried it. Now it is one of my favorite dishes. It seems like it’s a very good meal during cold weather. So, I thought I would share my Shepard’s Pie Recipe with all of you so that you can enjoy this filling meal as well. I will warn you, this is a very meat and potato type dish.
1 to 1 ½ lbs of ground beef
1 yellow onion
1 clove of minced garlic
1 can of corn
1 can of sweet peas
4 to 5 med or large potatoes
2 tablespoons of butter
1 cup of beef broth
Preparation: Mashed Potatoes
- Peel and dice potatoes then boil.
- When potatoes are soft, drain water and place in mixing bowl.
- Add butter to potatoes and mix.
- Once potatoes start to become mashed, slowly add milk until you have a smooth consistency.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Preparation: Meat and Veggies (While potatoes are cooking.)
- Add 3 tablespoons of oil to a hot skillet.
- Place diced onion and garlic into skillet and cook until tender.
- Once your onions start to caramelize, add beef.
- Cook beef until browned.
- Once beef is brown, add peas, corn, beef broth, and a few splashes of Worcestershire sauce.
- Simmer uncovered on med/high for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Heat over to 375 degrees.
Preparation of Shepard’s Pie
- Place meat and veggies into a 9 x 13 dish and smooth evenly.
- Pour mashed over meat and veggies.
- Smooth potatoes evenly on top.
- Place in oven uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Remove and serve.
You can substitute vegetables to whatever you like. I just prefer using my two favorites.
I hope you enjoy this dish as much as we do! It’s a nice heavy meal to serve on those really cold days. Of course, the use of the oven and stove help make the house a little warmer as well.