Shrimp Scampi and Pasta
Shrimp Scampi is a dish that seafood lovers will not pass up. We tend to think that this is a long drawn out process. Well it is not.
Once your shrimp is shelled and deveined the the hardest part is over.
This dish renders such a savory and delicious meal that you can't get enough of it. Everyone will think that you spent hours preparing this dish, when it only minutes to complete. They will want the recipe for sure.
- 1 1/2 lb shrimp (peeled/deveined), whole- 20 ct or less
- 1/4 olive oil
- 1 Tbls butter
- 2 tsp dill, dried
- 1 lemon juice, whole lemon
- 1/4 cup Wine, white (optional)
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup shrimp peels
- 1 cup shrimp broth
- 2 tsp Coriander, ground
- 2 tsp Basil, dried
- per instructions Pasta, boxed
- Purchase shrimp (18-20 ct) in the shells , raw. The smaller the number the larger the shrimp.
- Peel shrimps and clean and rinse, save shells.
- Put rinsed shells into 1 1/2 cup of water and simmer for 10 min.
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil and butter until caramelized. Remove and put aside.
- Place shrimp into the same pan and cook for 5 min on each side. Remove and put aside.
- Strain shrimp broth into pan and add onions, garlic, wine, lemon juice of one lemon and seasoning.
- Reduce sauce to about half or until thickening.
- Turn pan off and add shrimp and stir.
- Cook pasta as desired and top with Shrimp and sauce.
- Serve with crusty bread and salad.
Tips on buying and cleaning shrimp
The shrimp is where the flavor comes from. You really can't get the savory flavor from a purchased shrimp that is already cooked.The flavor is in the shrimp shells also. That is why you would want to boil the shells and get all of that wonderful flavor from them.
When cleaning your shrimp, after the shells are removed you cut down the top middle of the shrimp from large end to tail end. (tails can be left on) and remove the vein and rinse. Keep the shells separate from the vein matter.
Most of the prep time is used shelling and cleaning the shrimp. If you don't want to bother with the shrimp broth you might try bottled clam juice.
Shrimp Deveining- How to
Use your favorite pasta and cook according to directions. You want to use a pasta that will hold the juices from your sauce. I use Vermicelli or Linguine which soak up all of that wonderful sauce.
When cooking your pasta check it by tasting it and see if it is done enough for you, instead of cooking by the directions to full cooking time. The pasta will continue to cook even when you turn off the burner. Pour the water off immediately and always salt the water that you are boiling your pasta in.