Instant Oats Suji Vegetable Idli Recipe
Instant Oats Suji Vegetable Idli
Oats and suji vegetable idli is a healthy breakfast option which is a wonderful fusion of oats and suji or rava or semolina. Oats is low in calories and fiber rich. So it is best to include it in our diet.
This is light and tasty South Indian recipe which can be done without the hassle of fermentation. Can be prepared in a jiffy which is perfect for busy weekday mornings.
Vegetables in this recipe enhances both the taste and nutrient values of the idli.
This recipe is diabetic friendly too.
Serve this idli hot with chutney or sambar. It even tastes good without any side dish.
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 cup fine suji or rava or cream of wheat
- 1/2 cup fresh curd
- 1-2 teaspoon ginger-green chili paste
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 7-8 french beans, chop ends and finely chopped
- 4-5 onion flower, finely chopped, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal
- 1/2 teaspoon chana dal
- 5-6 fresh curry leaves
- salt to taste
- water as required
- 1-2 teaspoons oil or ghee
How to prepare instant oats suji vegetable idli
- In a pan dry roast rava (suji) and oats together till it smells good and color changes to light brown. Let it cool down.
- Grind or blend to a fine flour.
- Take this powder in a vessel, add curd and salt, stir very well to prepare batter without forming lumps. The batter should have medium consistency. Let it sit for 5-6 minutes. In this time rava absorbs the water and batter thickens.
- Wash and chop all vegetables, prepare ginger-green chili paste and keep it ready.
- In a pan heat oil or ghee. Splutter mustard seeds, add fresh curry leaves and ginger-green chili paste. Saute till raw smell of ginger disappears.
- Add all the vegetables to the pan. Let them cook for 4-5 minutes in low flame. (or you can use parboiled or steamed vegetables).
- Add this vegetable mixture to the prepared batter. Mix well. Add water if required to prepare the semi thick (medium consistency) batter which is neither too thick nor thin.
- Grease idli stand with oil, heat water in the steamer.
- Pour the batter in the greased idli moulds, place the mould or cavity in the steamer, cover and steam it for 10-15 minutes in medium high flame. switch off the flame. (You can check if idlis are done by inserting toothpick in the idlis. If it comes out clean then idlis are done, if not, steam some more time).
- Allow these idlis to stand for some minutes. Then remove to the plate.
- Serve hot with sauce, sambar or chutney of your choice.
How to prepare instant oats suji vegetable idlis with step by step photos
- I have used greens of onions in this recipe which is purely optional.
- You can simply prepare batter using oats, suji and curd and skip adding vegetables which makes oats - suji idli without vegetables.
- You can add cashews too.
- I used quaker oats in this recipe. You can use any cooking or rolled oats.
- You can even use other vegetables like peas, cabbage, capsicum etc.
- To make your idli more fluffy and soft you can add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda or eno just before making idlis.
- You can dry roast oats and suji, make powders and keep it in air tight containers. Use this powder to make idli whenever necessary to save time.
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Carbohydrates 50 g||17%|
|Fiber 6 g||24%|
|Protein 15 g||30%|
|Sodium 9 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|