- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
Simple Acar Recipes That You Will Love
- Savoury Steamed Pumpkin Cake literally sugar-fre...
Steamed Pumpkin Cake This traditional Chinese savoury snack is commonly served during breakfast or tea-time with tea or coffee. The cake can be eaten as it is, though some prefer to take it with soy and...
- Scrumptious Vegetarian Mapo Tofu easy, healthy, ...
Here is my version of scrumptious Mapo tofu recipe which is meat-free and literally oil-free! It is so tasty that my family has graded it as one of my signature dishes. Mapo Tofu, a popular Chinese dish...
Acar is a type of condiment popular in Southeast Asia especially in countries like Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore. It is widely cooked among the Chinese, Malay and Indians. Due to different culture’s tastes and preferences, variants of acar recipe emerge like Nyonya acar, Malay acar, Chinese acar, and so on. This local delicacy is often served as a condiment to be eaten with main course.
Acar consists of thin strip of vegetables such as cucumber, long beans, carrots, cabbage and onion marinated in a sweet and sour sugar and vinegar. It is best to toss these one-inch cut vegetables in ground peanuts before serving. Some recipe also adds in ginger and chilies.
Here is my own version of Acar which is simple and straight forward:
½ big yellow onion
3 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp pounced garlic
4 tbsp of pounced peanut
Salt and sugar to taste
1 cup water
1. Cut the big onion into 4 and sliced it.
2. Cut cucumber and carrot into thin strips, about 2 inches strips. Soak in salt water ( about 1 tbsp of salt and 1 cup of water) for half an hour.
3. Heat some oil in pan. Sautee garlic till fragrant.
4. Add in water and vinegar.
5. When the water and vinegar is boiled, add in cucumber, carrot, big onion. Stir well for about 2 - 3 minutes. Season the mixture with salt and sugar.
6. Dish up and keep in the refrigerator overnight.
7. Sprinkle with pounced peanuts before serving.